36 ford pickup w/ cummins

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe440

So heres my first rat build in the early stages of it but its coming along. Going with a an 89 cummins and dual rear bud wheels. In the midst of figuring out the frame.
flames024.jpg

gotta make the wood pallet a little longer, wheelbase should be another foot or two.
rattr.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

my little grill ornament
ratrod015.jpg

89 cummins
ratrod007-2.jpg

Cool project..I built a 56 gmc a few years ago with a 90 cummins and 5 speed..Good luck and keep the pics coming[;)

Cool project..I built a 56 gmc a few years ago with a 90 cummins and 5 speed..Good luck and keep the pics coming[;)

sounds cool, did you keep the wiring to a minimal? ive been reading up on the motors and see the expression "the one wire motor" a lot cause it literally only needs 3 wires i believe to run

ya, wrong question,:eek: what model is what l meant to ask.[dr

Later:eek:

honestly i have no idea. a guy had it out in his woods for about 30 years, all he knew it was a 36 ford. any guess?

got the rear frame mocked up tonight
0309012015.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome build, i'll definitely be following this one. I'm a huge ford guy but I have a Dodge Cummins pickup right now that i've had for 4yrs and I love it. Good luck and keep posting the pics!

All '36 Ford truck cabs were identical, as were 37's and almost all early trucks. The only differences were the chassis, running gear and fenders.

sounds cool, did you keep the wiring to a minimal? ive been reading up on the motors and see the expression "the one wire motor" a lot cause it literally only needs 3 wires i believe to run

Yeah they don't need much..power to the fuel shutoff solenoid, which could be done away with and cable operated and juice to the starter..don't get much simpler than that..

yea, you put a fuel shutoff cable on the little lever found between the injection pump and the engine block to shut the engine down and remove the fuel shutoff solenoid and take the guts out, then the cummins dosnt need any wires.... hell if you slap a crank on the front of the engine and you dont even need a battery!!
it could be a struggle cranking that thing over by hand tho! [cl
i am eyeball deep in my build right now, a late 20s cab with a cummins and 5 speed, 1952 gmc 1.5t chassis and a rear diff from a 95 gmc 3500hd. going to pick up the diff this weekend and dive in to the 4 link rear suspension. i tracked down a engine driven air compressor for on board air and to charge the rear airbags, drives right off the accessory drive below the injection pump:D
oh and one other thing i noticed that your front suspension on that rig uses a transverse spring.... you have any good pics of that setup, i never knew that a transverse leaf was used on a big truck like yours

oh and one other thing i noticed that your front suspension on that rig uses a transverse spring.... you have any good pics of that setup, i never knew that a transverse leaf was used on a big truck like yours

this is the only pic i got of the front
flames008.jpg

[dr This is one awesome project, I can't wait to see this thread in a month or two! You are going to have one wicked driveshaft angle though, have you figured out how that's going to work?

Latest posts

Back