Tim...Ok's 48 F1 build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim...Ok

Well, I think it's finally time to start a build thread..I've flip flopped so many times on what i want to build, but for now I'm planning on going forward with the 48 F1 cab,subject to change:D:D the chassis was actually started with intentions of a hand built sedan body, but plans change..anyway

tapered front rails to give them some shape..I rolled the tubing for my radius rods and machined the bungs at work

Picture003.jpg

brackets I had laser cut
Picture002.jpg

front perch and trailer spring

Picture001.jpg

still on the table..grill shell made from pie cut angle iron..looks more model T'ish than i wanted,not going to use it..Will make a wall hanging stereo shelf out of it:D

Picture004.jpg

the front half now has tires and wheels and is sitting on the ground..thats a good milestone for someone who doesn't know what the heck they are doing:D:D

I guess I should say this is the first time I've built anything like this..I've done the back halves on a couple drag cars , but never built from scratch and never owned anything with a solid front axle..I have done alot of welding on industrial type platforms and shelving..Built quite a few trailers and flatbeds,that sort of stuff..I use a Miller 250X that I've had for about 12 years..

Heres a 20' Gooseneck I built

t2.jpg

a motorcycle trailer I built for a co-worker, traded it to him for a clean 81 SWB Chevy truck

3-18-07002-1.jpg

and my eternal project, my 18' tilt deck car hauler..I seem to redesign it about once a year[;)[;):D:D

welding3-21-04007.jpg

Tim

I wanted to give credit where due for that idea, but I 've read so many posts on here, I couldn't remember who had done that..Thanks for the idea! :D:D

Love your Willy's btw

Hey man, nice start there. You could do what I did, and build your front grill from two full size Chevy truck door window frames.
1123001452.jpg

1123001500a.jpg

Blacksheep, that worked out better than i would have ever guessed,too cool..A side view of your truck is among the pictures I have as a screen saver on my computer..

thanks guys

I've made a little progress the last few days but didn't take any pics..I finished the bungs in the ends of my front bars,got the heims in and installed..so the front is a roller..Was excited to see that it turns lock to lock without binding and clears everything nicely..remember,first build here:D I'm trying to find an early truck 9" rear then I can finish the roller.. I found a steering box that I'm hoping will work,I'll post pics of that once I get it off of the donor..

Tim

Made a little progress this weekend..Found a truck 9",got it set up with some old Comp Engineering ladder bars I've had for years..Gotta love the 5"x5" suspension..LOL
Rat_4-17-11005.jpg

Finally got my cab home and set it on the frame
Rat_4-17-11002.jpg

I swear I've workin on this thing some, but I know,worthless without pics:D I'm doing quarter elipticals on the rear, got one side basically done..got a dummy motor and tranny in to build motor mounts,they are welded in but need to reinforce them a little..I'm using early 50's chevy truck steering box, got it partially mounted,probably going to have to shorten my pitman arm though..with an Aliis Chalmers Gleaner combine steering column.. I really need to take pics..I'm working on site prep for a new shop,so thats my main priority at the moment.. Been working out of this crappy shed for almost 5 years since we moved,time for a nice shop again..

Tim

Rented this bad boy over the weekend..got all the tree stumps removed and the site is prepped..Called the builder thats going to do my pole barn,he's running about 3 weeks out..maybe shop will up by July 4th? I hope.. Doing 12' walls with scissor trusses over one bay so i can add a lift eventually..Pretty excited to be getting close finally.. then its back to working on the projects[cl:D

0605111929.jpg

Ok I ditched the quarter eliptical idea in the rear,with the width of my frame and the ladder bars where i put them, ran out of room quick..My bracket were going to be on the outer ends of the center section in side the frame and I just didn't like that,put the springs too close together in my opinion..Scored a pair of coilover sliders off of an old IMCA car with 250 lb springs off craigslist for $60,much simpler..I got brackets built and those mounted.need to remember to get batteries for the camera..sorry no pics yet..

Made some progress over the weekend..
the coilovers I put on a week or two ago plus the panhard bar I made this weekend
0704111824.jpg

still need to add a brace to it, but got my master cylinder mounted then started working on a brake pedal..3/4" round stock thru 1"od DOM tubing with a grease zerk makes for a very smooth tight pivot..you can kinda see my brake pedal in this pic with a bunch of 3/8" countersunk holes..will plate in the front and back of the pivot once i get the cab back off the frame..
0704111823.jpg

also made progress on my steering column, still need to spend a little time on the lathe, but got my connection/u-joint worked out, using a 1938 John Deere A steering wheel:D

Tim

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back