Rat Rods Rule - Rat Rods, Hot Rods, Bikes, Photos, Builds, Tech, Talk & Advice  since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule - Rat Rods, Hot Rods, Bikes, Photos, Builds, Tech, Talk & Advice since 2007! > Frame/Suspension/Brake Q&A

Frame/Suspension/Brake Q&A All things... Frame/Suspension/Brake

Old 04-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Buildin' it his way, one piece at a time...

Default Lever arm shocks (hydraulic)

I know I have heard that the friction style ones don't work all that well... But what about the hydraulic lever arm shocks...? Anyone have some input, I am just wondering how they perform in compaired to modern tube shocks. I like the way they look and I think I would have a less intrusive way to mount them on my front end compaired to a tube shock...

Thanks guys

http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9479
Old 04-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Still crazy after all these years!

Most of the old car lever shocks are single action. They only control rebound (or is it compression??? I can't remember). I have used British lever shocks on the front of light hot rods. They look and work good. Frequently found on eBay.

I have home made friction shocks on my '27 roadster. They don't do a lot but they are all that is needed on it.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:18 PM

I used some Delco Lever Action Hydrolic shocks on the rear of my 29 RPU and they worked out real nice with the 40 Ford leaf rear spring. I think they look right on this build and I don't think regular shocks on the rear would have made it any better.

Up front I used regular tube short shocks from Speedway Motors as I had a space concern to work with. I still might redo the front to put in a small Delco that I think was on early Chevy cars or truck.

I think a lot of the choice is in the "LOOK", They just look right on old hot rods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear shocks & Rad Shell 001.jpg (127.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Rear shocks & Rad Shell 002.jpg (115.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Rear shocks & Rad Shell 003.jpg (134.5 KB, 42 views)
Old 04-23-2011, 11:46 PM
It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!

Some of the lever shocks like those on my 34 Caddy had adjustable damping, here's a pic - though wearing 77 years worth of crud, they still function. It had a lever under the dash and a series of rods etc. linked to all 4 to adjust while driving. There was an article in one of the rod mags a year or so ago about the various Ford style lever shocks and there was a company that rebuilt them. Sometimes they fit better into tight places than tube shocks and definitely have that period look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sep 05 10 34 cadillac 001z.jpg (103.9 KB, 36 views)
Old 04-24-2011, 10:07 AM

Do any of them have dual action, or were they all single action? I am looking at some from a 40's 3/4 ton chevy that I thought would work well, but I think I need resistance in both compression and rebound.

thanks guys

Old 04-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Never met a beer he didn't like!

There was an article on rebuilding them a few months ago in one of the big car mags. You can probably find it with the Goog.

Beercan
Old 04-24-2011, 12:35 PM

Very nice rear shock set up, old28. The ones he used look like double action.

Chevy trucks got by with single action shocks for years so they might work ok if you have pretty stiff springs on your ride.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:02 PM

CORPO

The Delco I have on the rear are double action, but they are way stiffer on compression than on rebound. They are fine on light hot rods with stiff springs like (bob w) said.

If your doing a heavy rod I don't think you would be happy with the overall performance they would provide.

If you find some good double action that came off a vintage 3/4 ton they might work out fine for a heavy hot rod. This may be a case were "the right look" may have to take second place.

Good Luck
Old 04-24-2011, 08:19 PM

hummmm... so how do I know which ones are double action? I was looking at something like these????

any input would be helpful.. and I dont think I would consider my truck light...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...NA%3AUS%3A1123

Old 04-24-2011, 08:42 PM

If you are looking at a functional shock the lever will have very little resistance in one direction.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Austi...item4152b120bf
Here's a British double action shock. you can see two distinct cylinders. Look at old28's shocks and you can see two cylinders that are opposed. I think (but am not positive) that all double action shocks will have two cylinders either side by side, like the British shock or opposed, like old28's shocks.

Last edited by bob w; 04-24-2011 at 08:55 PM.