My Project 36' Ford Pickup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agdeuce

I had posted this in the "Introduction" area and it was suggested that maybe the "Builds" section would be better for the future progress reports. I also added some pictures of my cab as requested. Here are the pics of my project chassis, cab, etc. I started with a 38' rusted out chassis. The back half was gone. I used 2X4 rectangular tube and kicked the back 21" (I used a 9" from a 74" Torino with coil springs because I had it). I ran the tubing inside the old rusty rails and formed them to follow the frame forward to the "X" member front. I also kicked the front frame up 6" and lengthened it 6". Then a I shortened the "X" member and kicked it to match. Shortening the "X" member opened the gap between the rails allowing more room for trans and mount. I am using a 250 inline 6 (292 when I get the money to build it) with an S-10 5 speed trans. You use what you can find and afford even though it may mean a lot of work. Thanks all for your help and interest. I will get the hang of the site yet. Later

Attachments

• DSCN0465.jpg
    DSCN0465.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 384
  • DSCN0466.jpg
    DSCN0466.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 349
  • DSCN0467.jpg
    DSCN0467.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 367
  • Truck 8-18-2011.jpg
    Truck 8-18-2011.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 334
  • 0419111057.jpg
    0419111057.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 372
  • 0619111142.jpg
    0619111142.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 358
  • DSCN0461.jpg
    DSCN0461.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 336
  • DSCN0462.jpg
    DSCN0462.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 285
  • DSCN0458.jpg
    DSCN0458.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
I had posted this in the "Introduction" area and it was suggested that maybe the "Builds" section would be better for the future progress reports. I also added some pictures of my cab as requested. Here are the pics of my 36' Ford pickup project chassis, cab, etc. I started with a 38' rusted out chassis. The back half was gone. I used 2X4 rectangular tube and kicked the back 21" (I used a 9" from a 74" Torino with coil springs because I had it). I ran the tubing inside the old rusty rails and formed them to follow the frame forward to the "X" member front. I also kicked the front frame up 6" and lengthened it 6". Then a I shortened the "X" member and kicked it to match. Shortening the "X" member opened the gap between each rails allowing more room for trans and mount. I am using a 250 inline 6 (292 when I get the money to build it) with an S-10 5 speed trans. You use what you can find and afford even though it may mean a lot of work. Thanks all for your help and interest. Later

Sounds cool but no pics :(

Pictures

I guess I got the cart before the horse. It will take some time for me to get the hang of the site use. Later

Whack the top

Howdy
I want to chop it but I need to wait until the seat (Bench) is installed. The tunnel will be kind of high (It's channeled). I want to be sure I can sit in it. I'm not tall but... Later

Project update

Hey all interested!
Well I have finally gotten the cab stuck over the chassis. The radiator is mounted. I am now trying to work out just exactly how I am going to make the floor:confused:. I now have the bottom of the cab about 1" below the chassis. It looks about right and as expected I have quite a mess around the wishbone area. It will take some "noodleing" to make everything clear and look good:(. I will post some more pics as soon as I clean the shop and shoot them. Everybody keep on cuttin' and weldin'[;). Later Steve aka agdeuce

This project is turning out very nice. You mentioned having problems with the wishbones clearing the cab. My son and I recessed ours into the side of the frame. I will try to get a better picture of it but here is one when we made the first cuts. It's not boxed in this picture but I think you can get the idea. This may get you a bit more room to work.

treysTruck011.jpg

Got another picture of the recess.

rail3.jpg

Last edited:
Latest pictures of the 36" project

Well I went out and took some pics of the cab almost in place. So here they are.
Thanks Paul J for the great solution to the wishbone issue. The chassis has been kicked 6" in the front and I don't think it will work because of the caster issue. I believe I can massage the lower front section of the cab and make it look good. I really need to get this thing on the road.
I tell you this is a great site. Thanks all Steve

Attachments

• cab-1.jpg
    cab-1.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 173
  • cab 11-10-11 004.jpg
    cab 11-10-11 004.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 170
  • cab 11-10-11 005.jpg
    cab 11-10-11 005.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 168
  • cab 11-10-11 001.jpg
    cab 11-10-11 001.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 170
  • cab 11-10-11 010.jpg
    cab 11-10-11 010.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 177
  • cab 11-10-11 006.jpg
    cab 11-10-11 006.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 164
  • cab 11-10-11 011.jpg
    cab 11-10-11 011.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 159
  • cab-3.jpg
    cab-3.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 199
More news on my build

Hey all!
Well I finally have the cab located and tied into the floor. I was able to massage the lower front area of the cowl to clear the wishbones, It doesn't look bad at all. It looks like the top may get chopped after all. The tunnel will not be as tall as I originally thought. The only problem is I sent the extra roof skin I had, to the scrapper. Bummer!:( So now I am going to have to try my hand at forming a filler piece for the roof. I have the tools but my skill level leaves something to be desired.:eek: Practice make OK, I hope. I will chop it after I drive it awhile. I want to go to the drive-in movies with my buddies next summer. Can't wait. I will get more pictures after I get the floor and tunnel in. Later guys

As said before, LOOKS GREAT! Keep up the good work and you will have it goin' soon. Just take the time to do it right the first time and remember safety.

Thanks guys

I have been doing the things needed, like vacation, yard work, and driver repairs so I haven't gotten much more done but I now have the entire floor and tunnel figured out I just have to DO it. Believe me guys safety is a very real issue with me. I remember the days when I was a kid and had to pump my brakes to stop,:eek: if I didn't over heat them first (to many stop light to stop light runs). A lot more cars and crazies on the road today. My engineering background will not let me do anything unsafe. Thank you all for your encouragement, everybody keep working on your rides and have fun. Later Steve

Lookin good Steve!

Wow it's come a long way looks like a lot of fun! I would like to do something like that someday.

David

Latest posts

Back