I need some wisdom...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOUGIEB59

O-la guru's am picking up a coupe w no title docs... I need to learn how to "bond" a car, to make it legal... Thoughts /ideas??
Doug

This has been covered extensively here...you can search and get a lot of info but the best thing to do is talk to your local DMV office and find out for sure what you need.

TiredIron's right. Every state is different but maybe someone from your state may chip in. Good luck!

Toad

Absolutely go the local DMV.....

or SOS or whatever they call it there....they can give you the poop on the scoop....if the clerk doesn't know, ask to speak to the branch manager...if they don't know, nobody else will.....

The average deputy or road officer probably doesn't

know that info....most don't deal with the particulars or in's and out's of titleing and registration....but could check with the auto theft unit if they have one....probably would be better informed....most officers only know that you need a valid reg and that they can check it against the vin number on the tag....other than that, I would doubt they know as it isn't something they deal with on a daily basis......JMHO.....

I have had more luck with the Highway Patrol for getting Info. I was doing the paper work for my 49 (was completed before I statred the paperwork) the DMV wanted more paper work that what the HIPO wanted. two biggest things .are there vins on the tin? or no vins? both have different paper work to fill out. I have found that the DMV doen't always Know what paper work to fill out. Most states have a DMV website with the steps to title a ride. there is a difference between a builder title and rebuilt title (Know what your building) and always get a noterize bill of sale for things like frames, cabs, and a bill of sale on all other tin with a little statment under the seller signature that states "i swear under penalty of pergery that I am the owner of said property and transfer said property to buyer" I have a preprinted one I use when I go and buy The front tin or beds. This will make getting paper work done. and always take alot of pics to submit with your paper work. I am on My second title this way it is not the easyest thing to get done and can go on for a year. But it is legal (for bonding look in the yellow pages under bonding (not get out of jail bonding LOL) ask about car title bonding and they will get you going.

Every state I have lived in (including the state of confusion) has several different paths to the same end. On any given day, at any given branch of your state's DMV, you might get a different answer. For instance there is a lien, like a storage or mechanics lien. This is how most towing/impound yards operate. Then there is a homebuilt car. There may be a surety bond type of process and here we have one that is some sort of affidavit that they do a search and see how long the vehicle has been out of the system and then proceed, at their discretion, with a titling process. Or you can find a "friend" in an easier state to deal with, sell them the car and buy it back when they get the cleared paper work.
One of the easiest I have used is to just have a friend with a towing company impound the car, keep it for the required amount of time and put it on their impound auction where you can buy it back as the high bidder (with the understanding that you only pay them the agreed on amount for the service)

Here is a link to get you started

Your guys app looks alot easier there your here in Colorado. But some of the paperwork looks killer. here is a web address to get you started

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/fo...AffidavitofReconstruction_SpecialAssembly.pdf

Do the vins match on body and frame
If there are vins you may have to do a title and lein search
If you have to bond, A licensed dealer need to appaise the car (I have done this 2 time, The dealer asked how much the truck weighted and what scrap prices are) this will need to be on letterhead for the bonding agent. also check into bonding requirments The DMV told me I needed to bond the HIPO told me if the car is over 25 years old they don't need bonding.

In the end, it all comes down to how much they can take you for while making you jump through hoops. Ct has to be the absolute worst, especially if it needs to be inspected for anything...but the DMV is usually the best place to start.

In Minnesota everything happens through your local Deputy Registrar. I'll assume you bought a body with a bill of sale and there is no VIN number on it. If you want to license it as a street rod the state will want you to build it first.
1. Save all the reciepts.
2. Take pics of the four sides.
3. Get a Statement of Facts form from the Deputy Registrar and fill it out.
4. Take all of the above to the Deputy Registrar and fill out an Application for License form. Leave money.
5. They will sent the package to the State. Weeks to months later you will get a letter to make an appointment to have your car inspected at one of the stations around the state.
6. The inspection is not for safety but rather to check parts serial numbers against recieprts and their stolen parts look out lists. This is a big deal for them on chopper motorcycles and late model rebuilders and meaningless on hot rods. But they don't understand the difference.
7. Weeks or months later you will get a letter that you failed the inspection because your car doesn't have a VIN. With the letter they will send you a form for bonding the title.
8. Take the bonding form to your favorite insurance agent (if he is unfamiliar, find a different guy) and have him work with a bonding insurance company. You will get a bill and a policy. It isn't very expensive.
9. Either the agent, the bonding insurance company or you will send the paperwork into the state. On one of my projects the state found errors on the paperwork 3 times so it had to be redone 3 times.
10. Weeks or monthe later you will get a letter to make an appointment with the inspection station to have your brand spanking new VIN sticker applied to your car.
11. Go get the VIN sticker installed. Then drink beer and eat pizza with your buddies to celebrate successfully running the DMV Titling Gauntlet!

This is the legal way to do it. There might be some alterations in the procedure since I last did one that needed bonding. Ask hot rodders around your area where a knowledgeable, sympathetic clerk is and go there. It can make a big difference. Ditto for an insurance agent.

There are other senarios if you have the original VIN# on the vehicle you are getting. But all of them will require getting a bond if you don't have a title to transfer.

Last edited:
"I need some wisdom..."

I've tried drinking smart water...it burns going down but don't try driving.
It makes you really souper smart...but there's some residual field effect on everyone else that causes to them to be stoopid and act angry. If your drinking smart water it's best everyone in the near vicinity has some too or it's not going to be pretty

Latest posts

Back