Ok... who's got a small camper/trailer?!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
I'd love to do a lil travelin' next year & have been looking at small Airstreams, tear drops & I absolutely love this kool lil pop-up I found on daBay! Who's got a camper & or recommendations. Hey... I'm gonna need a place to stay at Bonneville!!! [ddd[ddd[ddd

Kool A-frame pop-up camper!

BoB

I'll be building a teardrop to take to Bonneville as well!. I've got the plans (like the one in the picture) and material...plan to start building it as soon as I finish with the truck.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 42
I'll be building a teardrop to take to Bonneville as well!. I've got the plans (like the one in the picture) and material...plan to start building it as soon as I finish with the truck.

You will need to double some of the dimensions so there is room for me in there when we go to Bonneville ;)

When I was a kid, my father bought a pop-up trailer. They are pretty cool. One draw back is that you can't load up a pop-up like you can a regular trailer.

We looked seriously at those A-liners. But this spring we found a little 15' HI-LO hard side pop up. Heater, AC, toilet, shower, fridge, stove. Like all popups, not much stowage room. That's OK though, we always stowed everything in the truck bed when we tent camped anyhow.
hi-lo-towlite-15t-travel-trailer-exterior.jpg

I spent 10 years in the RV business, so I'll try to help.

Despite their aircraft styling, Airstreams are brutally heavy and difficult to work on. I call them Airscreams 'cuz that's what you do when you have to fix 'em. Parts are expensive, too. So you need a pretty serious tow vehicle and a fat wallet if you go that route.

Folding and pop-up trailers are great because they're light and low. You can pull them with almost anything, and you don't have the frontal area to pull through the wind. If you're looking at one of these, pay attention to the hardware and/or mechanism used to make it fold. Some designs are very poor, prone to failure and aggravating to use.

If you're tall, sleeping in any trailer can be difficult. Make sure you fit the bed and you're comfortable. Ceiling height can also be an issue and leave Tommy Boy marks on your forehead.

A common mistake people make, is failing to account for the total weight when loaded. Whatever choice you make, be sure your tow vehicle can safely handle the combined weight. You never want a trailer to call the shots and drive you.

I spent 10 years in the RV business, so I'll try to help.

Despite their aircraft styling, Airstreams are brutally heavy and difficult to work on. I call them Airscreams 'cuz that's what you do when you have to fix 'em. Parts are expensive, too. So you need a pretty serious tow vehicle and a fat wallet if you go that route.

Folding and pop-up trailers are great because they're light and low. You can pull them with almost anything, and you don't have the frontal area to pull through the wind. If you're looking at one of these, pay attention to the hardware and/or mechanism used to make it fold. Some designs are very poor, prone to failure and aggravating to use.

If you're tall, sleeping in any trailer can be difficult. Make sure you fit the bed and you're comfortable. Ceiling height can also be an issue and leave Tommy Boy marks on your forehead.

A common mistake people make, is failing to account for the total weight when loaded. Whatever choice you make, be sure your tow vehicle can safely handle the combined weight. You never want a trailer to call the shots and drive you.

Any experience with those little teardrops Dr.?

We built our teardrop trailer ten years ago. It's been all over the western states. Our first trip out with it was Route 66 to Chicago, 7000 miles worth. We tow it behind my ratrod in the picture, my 56 Chevy, my 65 Chevelle and my wife's PT Cruizer. We have well over 70,000 miles towing it and it works out great.

4853754453_4a4500ac58.jpg

Keith

We built our teardrop trailer ten years ago. It's been all over the western states. Our first trip out with it was Route 66 to Chicago, 7000 miles worth. We tow it behind my ratrod in the picture, my 56 Chevy, my 65 Chevelle and my wife's PT Cruizer. We have well over 70,000 miles towing it and it works out great.

4853754453_4a4500ac58.jpg

Keith

Keith,
Nice looking rig. I saw your truck build on the KB site...truned our great...the bed, fuel and air tanks are just so unique! Question for you, what are the dimensions for your teardrop?
Thanks,
-Troy

I really like that version, which one is it? Was it a kit or did you buy plans, was it easy to build and around how much did it cost?

ISore

Any experience with those little teardrops Dr.?

Unfortunately, no. I've built a handful of trailers, and I'd like to do a teardrop someday. My size might destroy that fantasy however, I can imagine it looking like a beluga whale.

That said, there's always a way to gain usable space with a little innovation, like this pop-top teardrop.

teardrop_kampmaster.jpg

With a teardrop you won't be standing up in it at all (unless it like the one above).

The A-liners don't give you much standing room if you are tall, but most of the time your sitting or sleeping anyhow. My wife was concerned about not having enough counter space for cooking/food prep. We were looking at the smaller (17') A-liners though. They do go up and down easily - unlike a traditional canvas pop up with the extensions.

Hey all,
I am the Chapter Director of the Mountaineers of West Virginia on the TearJerkers.net teardrop site. We also have connections with www.mikenchell.com (T&TTT). I built a 4x8 4 yrs ago and still have it but our primary camper is a '47 KenSkill, mostly originial.Any questions on Teardrops just ask and I'll have or find an answer for you. We just had our 2nd Fall Foliage Gathering here in Oct. in Summersville with 30 campers attending, Party! Enjoy:)

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc145/panheadjohn60/?action=view&current=95fe538d.jpg
http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc145/panheadjohn60/?action=view&current=44b44c1f.jpg
http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc145/panheadjohn60/?action=view&current=ce026bc6.jpg

Thanks for the nice comments. The trailer is five feet wide by ten feet long. It is patterned after a '47 Modernistic or Cub. Here is a link to plans that are available on them. http://lilbear.teardrops.net/plans.html As for the cost it was about $3500.00 ten years ago to build it. The price of steel and aluminum have gone up since then. We built two trailers at the same time and it took us 14 months to complete them. We built the trailers with a complete steel frame under the aluminum. Most other builders use plywood for the main structure. Here is a link to some of the pictures of our build. The pictures should give you a pretty good idea how we built them. http://www.flickr.com/photos/five_wide_club/sets/72157603689987540/

Keith

teardrop

Tripper, on I-45 and 242 east between the woodlands and spring about 3-4 miles down the road on north side is a travel trailer repair shop that has some used teardops. I looked at one last year and he wanted $3000 I believe. he has several styles. They used to be rental units that he no longer rents out. I'm sorry I don't know the name of the place. TP Got the hemi in the dodge yet?

Latest posts

Back