Rat Rods Rule - Rat Rods, Hot Rods, Bikes, Photos, Builds, Tech, Talk & Advice  since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule - Rat Rods, Hot Rods, Bikes, Photos, Builds, Tech, Talk & Advice since 2007! > Product Reviews!

Product Reviews! Give your pals the thumbs up or thumbs down on products you've tried!

Old 02-27-2012, 01:03 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Default 3M Right Stuff sealant.

Recently I have become a real fan of 3M Right Stuff sealant. You can use it in place of a gasket and it makes a rubberized gasket of it's own. Lots of guys swear by it for intake manifold end seals, and we have been using it every place we can. On my Son's 455 Olds we forgot to put the paper gasket on the thermostat housing and only had Right Stuff on it. He has had a little seepage from around the housing since we got the car running a year ago using a gasket and permatex. But even forgetting the gasket it has not leaked a drop since we did the Right Stuff routine.

I am making a trophy for Billetproof in March and the one I made weighs a ton and is all steel. I needed some rubber feet at the base so I put some Right Stuff down, smoothed it out, and the next day I turned it over and it made a perfect set of feet to cushion the bottom. I can't recommend the stuff enough. It comes in an aerosol can much like a Cheese Whiz can and comes out in a bead.

On the 351 I am going to build for my Mustang I plan on using it everywhere I can, including water pump, timing cover, oil pan, intake end seals, etc.

Don
Old 02-27-2012, 11:05 AM

Yes, it is amazing stuff. We have also used it to install windows, fix a crack in an oil pan.

It also comes in small calking tubes, which is the way I buy it, I like it that way better than the can.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:50 PM
Brother Rat

3M?

Or do you mean the Permatex 'Right Stuff'?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:26 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Fear View Post
3M?

Or do you mean the Permatex 'Right Stuff'?
Yep, I stand corrected. Napa carries it under their own label but it has Permatex in smaller print on the can. Really great stuff.

Don
Old 02-29-2012, 12:19 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

"If its not right stuff....its the wrong stuff"
Or as a buddy of mine once said, "Right stuff....that stuff can glue an elephant upside down"

29 model A tudor---DONE
52 IH pickup--- rat rod in progress
Old 02-29-2012, 10:20 PM
Got Fins?

I was always a fan of their hi-tack red spray for gaskets too, always worked awesome....
1st start up on propane
1st real drive