49 chevy rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chevord

Hows every one? Thought i would start a build tread for my truck. have been a little slack lately, but now winter is on its way i will get stuck into it again. I scored a 1990 ford fairlane (the white beast in the background) from a mate and that gave me the diff and front hubs and other parts, This is my first build so i am learning as I go. Found some rear guards hopfully they will arrive in the next few days.

Attachments

• IMG_0395.jpg
    IMG_0395.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 92
  • setting up.jpg
    setting up.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 63
  • shaping the 100 x 50 frame rails.jpg
    shaping the 100 x 50 frame rails.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Day one.jpg
    Day one.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 50
Nice work, there's a chevy cab on ebay at the moment that i wouldn't mind grabbing for a future project. I think it would go well with my truck rolling stock. One thing at a time though. Good luck, looking forward to your progress.

Reading you first post and thought, winter is on it's way, WHAAA?? :eek: Then I saw yer in NZ.[P Looks like an interesting build, is that a Cleveland engine in there? I guess they made them a lot longer down under - they were killed off to early here by the 70's smog laws...

head light brackets

Got my head light breakets made after work today, i use conrods not sure what they are from i think a ford courier diesel. i will hide the wires in the copper tube. [;)

Attachments

• 116.jpg
    116.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 29
Reading you first post and thought, winter is on it's way, WHAAA?? :eek: Then I saw yer in NZ.[P Looks like an interesting build, is that a Cleveland engine in there? I guess they made them a lot longer down under - they were killed off to early here by the 70's smog laws...

Yeah it sucks we didnt get a very good summer here lots of wind and not that warm.Yes that is an cleveland :) the old cleveland is common as down here, easy to get aftermarket parts for.

Guards

My rear guards arrived today just sat them there to see what they look like. not sure what i will do at the front. Would have liked to run no guards but the law say i cant unless the car is pre 34 and i belong to a NZHRA affiliated club :mad:. Whats the law around guards where your from?[;)

Attachments

• guards.jpg
    guards.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 30
Progress

I have been abit slack on the up dates so heres where i am at as of today. I have the chassis all tacked up ready for welding, I have to check with the cert man weather i am allowed to weld it up my self as my 4711 weld ticket is not current. I have used 100X50x4mm RHS for the main rails and 25x25X3 SHS for the cross member. I shaped the front of the main rails to look like an old chassis i may have to change this to keep the cert man happy :( I have dropped the chassis by 100mm (4") and have put a new floor into the cab bring it up by 50mm (2"). Last week i gave up on looking for the door hinge and made one out of 50X10mm flat bar. I have also made a start on the deck and fuel tank brackets. Today was spent working out the steering i am having trouble with an engine mount being in the way lol i will take some more pics as i go and post them as i go.

Cheers [;)

Attachments

• 006 (2).JPG
    006 (2).JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 010 (2).JPG
    010 (2).JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 008 (2).JPG
    008 (2).JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 007 (2).JPG
    007 (2).JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0308.JPG
    IMG_0308.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0301.JPG
    IMG_0301.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 017 (2).JPG
    017 (2).JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 015 (2).jpg
    015 (2).jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 17
Looking good mate. As per the PM weld it up, if you been ticketed your welding will most certainly be up to scratch. Remember new scratch built chassis welds are not to be ground off.....The welding we have done on my chassis is a country mile tidier than the factory stuff....

:eek: My head hurts, got to the library after work and copied what i needed regarding steering column, intermediate shafts and steering box from the rule book today, now i just have to read and it and understand it:confused:. I also got a few little things done on the rod, got the seat mounts modified so i can set the right hight for the steering column and a few panel clamps made ready for the big chop.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back