38 Chevy sedan

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr Crankenstein

Rocket Surgeon
Yes, I do have a project. (I'm not just here to make wisecracks and post pics :D)

Anyhow, here it is with some explanation...

As it was when it first came indoors...

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

As you can see, somebody had spray bomb crap all over it and the passenger's side was sort of a pinkle color...

IMG_0261.jpg

Notice my neighbor's IH pickup on the left...I want it!

IMG_0257.jpg

One Saturday afternoon, my son asked if he could bomb it flat black. Why not? It can't look any worse. I masked off the rough side and let him have at it...

IMG_0262.jpg

I liked it. I liked it a lot and the fire was lit. So, I started into the body, roughed out most of the damage and pieced the rear fender back together.

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

Some more rattle can and it's starting to look like a car again. I stuffed an old slick and wheel in the opening. Hmmm...

IMG_0310.jpg

I love a fat tire, and the bigger the better. So, I figgered I should tub the car for maximum rubber.

IMG_0423.jpg

Thanks GJunktion. At this point in my life I can't function without the lift so I'm very happy to have one!

Skull, I'm as pretty as I can be. :D

Moving along, I cut the floor and split the wheel tubs down the middle...

IMG_0455.jpg

Squared, leveled and braced the frame. Built a body support and whacked the rear frame section...

IMG_0457.jpg

I narrowed the rear section, installed a transition crossmember, and welded the section back in.

Now I need a rear axle. [S How wide for those alum slots I have? I did some measuring and thought for a while. Hmmm...I have a narrowed rear. How narrow is it? Measure it. A little too narrow. Thinking again........still thinking.....it could work.....with BIGGER tires and wheels. Yeah, that's it, BIGGER! Problem...I don't have anything bigger...thinking again....aha! I do have something bigger....in the shed! So I go to the shed and drag out an old used up pair of 14x33 slicks. I knew I was keeping those for something. New problem. No wheels wide enough for the much wider tires. Think Flintstone, think...it's only mock up....

I have wheels...in the scrap pile. So I made a pair out of four steelies...

IMG_0397.jpg

That's all for tonight.

You've been holding out for almost a 1,000 posts?!?! Looks like that ones been beat badly. What's with the pass side windows - they look black? Was it used as a store sign or something?

Looks like it's gonna be a fun build, so we'll need constant updates. [P

(Chop?)

I guess me calling you out worked??
As said earlier, I like where this is going!!
Keep it up!![cl[cl
Yes, it's your fault!

You've been holding out for almost a 1,000 posts?!?!

The project ground to a halt before I got here, but since I stuck my foot in my mouth I decided to come out of the closet. (That doesn't sound right).

Looks like that ones been beat badly. What's with the pass side windows - they look black? Was it used as a store sign or something?

Beaten? Yes, quite. I was told it sat next to a building and the exposed side got stroked repeatedly by farm equipment. :mad: The "good" side and the windows were spray bombed, :eek: some clown's vision of a streetrod, I suppose.

This looks like it could be promising. What kind of heartbeat is in the works?

I have a 468'' BBC I hope to squeeze in there.

Last edited:
Oooooooo, this is gonna be a fun one :D Gonna have to stick around to watch this one!

P.S. Im envious of your "working space". Tall ceilings, insulated, lift, muily bay garage, neighbor into old rigs.....you got it made!

How do you like that type of lift? I was thinking if i was to get one it would be a 2 post. Realistically, a 4 post AND a 2 post would be ideal.

How do you like that type of lift? I was thinking if i was to get one it would be a 2 post. Realistically, a 4 post AND a 2 post would be ideal.

Honestly, I have no use for a 2 post anymore. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to have both, I would, but I've found ways to make the 4 do everything I need it to with some planning and innovation. The one complaint I have, is welding on a frame rail. The platform gets in the way, so I have to either offset the car to one side, or put it on jackstands to get my fat head under it. (A guy with a skinny head and a rubber spine might not have this issue). What I really like is its versatility. It makes a great oversize work table and it's dead flat and level, nice for fab projects. Does that help? I'm happy to answer any questions if you have more.

Back to my fat tire dilemma. So I made a couple wheels and mounted the big tires. I placed them and the narrowed 9'' under the car...

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

Oops! I guess I didn't have the rear frame back in yet.^^^^ It's lying on the floor!

IMG_0495.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys. I would have done this sooner but it's not an active build. I surely hope I can get back on it in the fall. Until then, I hope you don't mind me telling the story and posting what I have done.

ZZ, if I could get tires 30'' wide I'd squeeze 'em in there somehow. :D

Maverick, I resemble a Neanderthal, so I think you win!

Skull, your request will be addressed right away!

Highways Packer!!!

Hey Doc. ....if the wheels get any wider you could rent it out to the Dept. of Highways to help smooooth out our roads up here....but you would probably have to paint your car yellow:( though.....Looks good...I'll b [P[P[P

Latest posts

Back