Home away from home

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neverdone

He's not done yet...
So the next show I plan to attend is an overnight show. I decided that if I make it to the show, it will be there to camp all night. Figured I needed a camper for that, not a big fan of tents. So with a pile of scrap tubing in the corner, the trailing axle from my old car, and a little lumber, I got started on something.

I plan on tonight or tomorrow putting on a coat of clear, then I need to start on the top. It will have a snap down tonneau cover over screen for the top. And since the rat is on air, the camper will be too.

IMG_20140527_173723_940_zps5enaz5sp.jpg

IMG_20140601_174548_639_zpsabthrbe9.jpg

IMG_20140608_213107_320_zps5ag8rnme.jpg

IMG_20140610_154743_007_zpso9swxqtq.jpg

IMG_20140621_183250_896_zpssc8qma3c.jpg

IMG_20140621_190457_799_zpsvpkz7pjd.jpg

Whatcha all think?? The box is overall 5x9, big enough for a queen size air mattress.

cool beans
you make it look easy peasy
i would insulate it with the rigid foam sheets and it'll be cozy

Nice job! My only advice is to make windows on all 4 sides and allow them a way to open for cross ventilation. That'll make a great overnight hut...

Nice job! My only advice is to make windows on all 4 sides and allow them a way to open for cross ventilation. That'll make a great overnight hut...

Unfortunately windows on all sides is not possible. 3 is doable. One in door will be fixed. Other side is a slider. And of course the top rolls back...

If I read this right you did this in one day [S I bow to your greatness :D
Are there plans for a kitchen in the rear, teardrop style [S
Have a great camp out. [cl

If I read this right you did this in one day [S I bow to your greatness :D
Are there plans for a kitchen in the rear, teardrop style [S
Have a great camp out. [cl

YUP SURE DID!!! LMAO!!! [cl :rolleyes:
Nope been working on it for about 2 weeks a little at a time. It has storage in the back for right now, taking a charcoal grill and such.

Where does the AC unit mount? :D

It's a new tow behind AC unit. Going to run dual trailers. One sleeping quarters, one AC unit.

That is damn cool, do you have plans you are building from or?

We will go with the or part....... I have a copy of plans but not really using them, just used them for radius measurements on the curves. The plans are to build it on a cheap 4x8 trailer. I made my own frame 5x9. Then doing a bunch of other crap....

Finishing it up with outdoor urethane. Started doing that till the brush just started coming apart. Didn't even get halfway done... :( hopefully I can finish coating it tonight or tomorrow.

How did you decide your axle placement and tongue length? I'm interested to hear how well it tows.

I am interested to see how well it tows also. Right wrong or in different, I used mainly the same tongue length as my big trailer. Trailer tongues in usually all seem to be about the same length no matter how big the trailer, that is usually around 40" to the ball from the deck, which is about half the width of your car.

As for axle placement I wanted it to be heavier in the front than the rear. Most of your weight rides in the back on a teardrop because of the cooler, chairs, in my case battery and inverter, and what not. The front won't have much in it, maybe some clothes. For this reason I put the axle at 3/4 the length of the trailer. With all the junk in the back it should still have a decent amount of tongue weight, but not too much. Since this is mainly to be towed with the rat, and the hitch almost hits the back axle, it will not have much leverage on the rat.

That was my logic anyway. Thoughts?

Looks good neverdone. The nice thing about having the axle more towards the back, it will tow super straight, your center of gravity is more forward, and it makes backing up(if need be) much much easier. One of the reasons I put a hitch on my rat is to build a teardrop in the near distant future.

is this a solid mount Axle or did I miss something ? oh, yea , what are your plans for the top ? by the way it looks grate .. I always thought Id love one of these too one day !!

Latest posts

Back