Suburban Assault Vehicle (SAV)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZRodDave

In order to uncomplicate the Hodge Podge thread, here is the idea to create the Suburban Assault Vehicle from this rusty '88:

P6250162_zpsd7c7d147.jpg

I have a set of headers for it, and the dually rear end to slap under the back, something like this:

100_1251-25_zpsb60f54d9.jpg

Front will keep 15" wheels and tires and get drop spindles, so it will have a pretty good rake. As you can see, I have removed the step rails and will remove all the rubber body molding, probably de-chrome and go Military green or camo? Whatever is cheap, since I is poor! LOL (That would mean NO paint, Dave)

NO fender flares out back. I just don't like them. Also have to do something with that front end. Don't like the squared off look, so maybe a '70s front clip, Freightliner grille trimmed down, or something completely mad!? We'll see...

I can dig the dually rear, but I think that the military green would be a bit much. You can get some pretty nice grills for them trucks really cheap. I would probably go that route.

I can dig the dually rear, but I think that the military green would be a bit much. You can get some pretty nice grills for them trucks really cheap. I would probably go that route.

Yeah, probably right about that. Could just leave it alone in its "natural patina" (call it sun fade and rust!). Took it to the car wash once and the paint on the hood comes right off. Probably the same on top too.

Found a chrome horizontal bar grille for $30, but not big on chrome. It's always easiest to just leave it alone, and cheaper too! I've had it for 3 or 4 years and not quite gotten used to that square front end.

Took my buddy's trailer back to him today and the trusty ole Suburban picked up a vibration and loud clunking noise that may be the death knell of its usefulness. It has served well, but I think the time has come to pull off the good parts (engine/trans) and donate them into the '59 Chevy pickup project. Not a sad day, but come to the realization that putting money into this would not be a good idea. Parts is parts after all ...

Took my buddy's trailer back to him today and the trusty ole Suburban picked up a vibration and loud clunking noise that may be the death knell of its usefulness. It has served well, but I think the time has come to pull off the good parts (engine/trans) and donate them into the '59 Chevy pickup project. Not a sad day, but come to the realization that putting money into this would not be a good idea. Parts is parts after all ...

Ah yes AZ..... I look for any reason to turn something with a good motor /transmission /rear into a donor.... Especially if it going into old iron ...

Latest posts

Back