Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 03-18-2017, 08:39 PM

Default 40 chevy 1/2 ton (first build)

Ok so this is my first build. But have been doing ALOT of research and looking through all the builds. Definately going to need some feedback and plenty of help. I started out with a 40 Chevy cab, frame and what is left of the bed with tailgate. Bought a 78 Chevy truck for a donor and parted it out. Made double what I paid for it back and have a good running motor and trans for free. Decided to use the original frame. I know it's more work but the frame was tapered and has character. I'll post some pics of what I've done already a little at a time till your all caught up to where it's at now.

First I cleaned most everything off the frame in front and welded a piece of 2 1/2 x 2 1/2x 1/4 tubing in the front. The frame was bent downward near the front. Thought about cutting pie shape out by fire wall like I saw on a thread here but finally decided to do it at the bend. Pulled it up straight and made sure it was level and straight on the sides. Then tacked and welded it. I put plates inside to give it strength.

Had already ordered a posies spring, perches, shackles,u-bolts and hairpins. Made some spring and hairpin brackets for the axle out of 3/8" plate. I also bought a bottle of gas after this for welder. Used flux core because I didn't have a bottle and did it in the back yard.

Next I wire brushed most of the frame. Then welded up all those holes

Some pics...
IMG_4057 (Small).JPG IMG_4058 (Small).JPG

IMG_4065 (Small).JPG IMG_4068 (Small).JPG

IMG_4075 (Small).PNG IMG_4443 (Small).JPG

IMG_4468 (Small) (Small).JPG IMG_5479 (Small).JPG

IMG_5487 (Small).JPG IMG_4539 (Small).JPG
Old 03-18-2017, 09:09 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Your truck looks pretty solid from here. Have fun with it.

Not taking anything too seriously.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:09 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Great start to your project.

Don't give up, it's far too much fun once you can drive it.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:17 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Very nice.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:28 PM

Default 40 chev

Run what you brung! Great start!
Old 03-19-2017, 04:24 PM

Thanks guys. I tried to do a lot of research and planning to a point before I got started. But as with everything there will be questions and problems to solve along the way.

After I straightened the front of the frame I 45'd the frame at the fire wall and stacked it. Then I welded it up, boxed the frame to the back of cab and plated the frame where I stacked it. I didn't think about welding bolts inside the frame to bolt cab down til it was to late. So I guess I'll make some Brackets for outside the frame like the front has. I set the frame up and got it level and made some motor mounts and a trans cross member and got them welded in. May change that up later. Not sure I'm happy with that yet.

I didn't know what I was going to do about a grille and steering column but want to do as much stock look as I can. Ran across a guy that wanted the front springs out of my truck for his 36 Chevy low cab, so I traded him for his steering column, gear box and steering wheel. Since I didn't have a grille, when he said he wanted to buy a new one for his truck I traded him some 3/16 flat bar for boxing his frame for his grille and insert. It is missing the bottom piece of the frame but good enough for me. the insert is also cracked up the middle but I'll take it to a buddy of mine and have him tig weld it back together. Also traded my only fender for a hood.

I'll post some more later. Just got home from work. Going to go eat after I check on a buddy of mine. He came up to work to show me the 69 El Camino he has been working on for his dad. He left and got down the street not even out of sight and him and a range rover hit head on. Don't know what happened yet. He's an older guy like me. His wife said it looks like it broke his sternum. Pretty sure the El Camino is totaled after seeing it from a distance. Hope he's going to be ok.

here are a few more pics...

IMG_5518 (Small).JPG IMG_5520 (Small).jpg

front frame plated (Small).jpg IMG_5119 (Small).JPG

IMG_5355 (Small).JPG IMG_5353 (Small).JPG

trans mount (Small).jpg IMG_4719 (Small).JPG
Old 03-21-2017, 01:19 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Default Hope he's ok

Enjoying following along with your build. Nice rehab of stock frame. Hope your buddy will be ok.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:10 AM

Thanks Burgerman. He said he's real sore but will be fine. Said the other guy came over into his lane and don't think the guy even hit the brakes.
image.jpg

I'll post more pics of build later on.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:37 AM
He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!

Keep up the good work! Looks fine so far...Tell your bud we hope he's doing ok!
Old 03-22-2017, 11:33 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Wow that's nasty, glad to hear your buddy's alright.

Don't give up, it's far too much fun once you can drive it.