:::RULES::: 2017 Undead Sleds Photo Contest!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_Fear

Brother Rat
::: RULES::: UNDEAD SLEDS PHOTO CONTEST!!!!

QUICK AND DIRTY RULES: for the lazy reader
----------------------------
***All entries must be a photo taken by you*** no matter how long ago.
Please, no bigger than 1024x1024 pixels. At least 500 pixels one direction.
There is very limited photo editing allowed. (see below)
Post up to 3 pics per round. Only one will be considered.
Amateurs only.
There are subject matter restrictions. In general it's rats, traditionals, kustoms, and your shop.
No profanity, pets, or people.
Purposely trying to skirt the rules will get your entry disqualified!
Feel free to get help re-sizing pics. I know some are not tech headed.

--===THE DETAILS===--

HOW IT WILL WORK:
----------------------
There will be 5 rounds. Each month will be one round that's like a small contest in itself. The winner of that round will choose the subject from a list and be the judge for the next round. The judge will choose 10 pics from all that rounds entries, and those pics will be put into a poll to be voted on by everyone. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place entries for each round will be be put in a poll at the very end of the contest for a final vote. Contest over. Prizes awarded.

PRIZES:
-------
Right now this is for fun and bragging rights, if anyone wants to put something up as a prize, Go for it it.

Only one prize per person. No trifecta - spread the love fellas.

---THE RULES--

WHO CAN SUBMIT A PHOTO:
------------------------------
Any one that is a UDS member as of JUNE 3rd 2017. (Even me)
or
Anyone with at least 50 posts. (No outside ringers)
except for
Professional photographers, graphic artists, etc. (This is an amateurs only contest, so if you have made money from taking photos or frame-able art, you are out. Sorry. (Metal sculpture and the like does not count as frame-able art.))

Of course, you won't be able to enter a pic into a round you are judging.

GENERAL SUBMISSION RULES:
---------------------------------
***MUST BE YOUR OWN PHOTO TAKEN BY YOU.***
It doesn't matter if it was taken 30 years ago, it just has to be your pic, taken by you.

Each round of the contest will have it's own Picture Submission Thread.
Only one pic per person per round will be judged. If you submit more than one, only the last one will be used.
If you post more than 3 pics in one round, NONE WILL BE ACCEPTED past 3 - don't pic hoe the contest.

Pictures should be no larger than 1,024 pixels on either side. Nor any smaller than 500p on one side. For example, if you wanted a panoramic style shot it could be 300 tall by 1000 long or say 500 tall by 200 wide, but not 700x1200 or 400x200. Get it?

No photos that have been submitted to other contests or other rounds of this contest.

Same and nearly identical shots will be nixed too. If you move the camera 2 inches and make it black and white, it's still the same shot.

If you copy someone else's idea - that's permissible. Maybe not ethical or original, but permissible.

A cut off date and time will be posted for each round. No entries will be accepted after that time. Time will be figured US-CST, that is the time zone I live in - Iowa, USA. (You will have 2-3 weeks to submit, so don't wait until the last second and you'll be good)

PHOTOGRAPHY RULES:
------------------------
No profanity, vulgarity, people or pets. (Spectators in the background at a car show or a sneaky cat in the corner of the pic is OK. A dog, child, or wife in the center of the pic is not. Get it?)

Limited photo editing will be allowed:
Rotating
Cropping
Brightness
Contrast
Hue
Saturation

The only filters allowed are Black/White and Sepia.

Blurring of licence plates, house numbers, cuss words, etc. will be allowed.

Anything else is not allowed. No borders, captions, image manipulation, individual color adjustment, use of layers, filters, etc.

The above refers to editing or adjusting before, during, or after a photo is taken.

I will be in charge of deciding what counts as a eligible content per the above posted rules. If in doubt, leave it out.

SUBJECT MATTER:
----------------------------
This is a car site, so lets keep the UDS vibe or I will nix it.
\\\Stuff With Wheels\\\
Ratrods, traditionals, kustoms, old stock... of course!! Muscle cars, street rods, newer Harleys, billet... eh, not so much. Kustom bicycles, wagons, cafe racers, or even old Cushman's... why not? I know there is a lot of cross over stuff, so there are no hard and fast rules here. A Easter egg painted 32 Ford with 22's - no. A rat with 22's - sure. A ratted out Celica- uh..OK... but, don't be surprised if it still doesn't get chosen. If you take a detail pic of the banjo steering wheel of that Easter egg 32 Ford, it could be a winner - if you can't see the rest, it doesn't matter, does it?

\\\The Shop\\\
Scenes and stuff from around your shop could be cool. It just needs to be vehicle related. Motorcycle parts, tools, grinding dust, used oil cans.... if it's about building a rat it could make a cool pic!

I will also be in charge of deciding what is eligible subject matter.

I will try to let people know if their submission has been disqualified and why - ASAP - although that may be a day or two sometimes.

JUDGING:
----------
The judge for the new round will be the previous round winner.

The first thing the judge will do is choose a Theme for the new round from a list. That theme will then be the subject matter for the new round.

After the submission time has ended, the judge will decide which 10 of the eligible entries will be in that rounds poll.

Judging will be based on what he thinks is a cool picture and how well it represents the theme.

I will give judges a short explanation of what they need to do and how. It will be simple.

THERE WILL BE NO COMPLAINING about why your pic didn't get chosen over another by the judge. The judge has an opinion, and since he won the position, his opinion counts, yours doesn't. Respect that.

You can be judge only once. If you get 1st a second time, figure you just doubled your chances to earn a prize in the final contest. 2nd place will become the judge.

VOTING:
---------
Any UDS member can vote - ONCE per round.
DO NOT VOTE FOR YOUR OWN PIC!
The top 3 will be entered in the final poll after all the rounds.

THEMES:
---------
Each round will have a new theme. It may be something like "Round things" or "Red". Each entry must follow that theme and be within the General Theme of the Contest. For instance "Round things" could be a pic of a steering wheel, or of a car where the tires really draw your attention, a timing gear or even a 1/2 socket. "Red" might be a bunch of tail lights at night, the red line on a tach, or a car in front of a big red wall. If the theme doesn't have a important part in the composition or it doesn't fit the contest, it will be rejected by me. A bright red toaster or a big round tube isn't what this contest is about. Park a cool car inside a big round tube and that might be a cool pic. Get it?

Be Creative!!! Think outside the box!

OTHER STUFF:
---------------
Constructive criticism and helpful suggestions are welcome of course.

Any questions - ask!

Each round may have additions or subtractions to the rules as needed. They will be posted at the top of the current round and will not change until the next round.

I will have instructions and helpful suggestions for judges.

Just in case this runs into some unforeseen problem, I reserve the right to shut it down.

NOTHING IN THIS THREAD AFTER THIS POST IS A RULE - any rule changes will be posted at the top of the new round Submission Thread.

I can't tell from the picture if those are right handed or left handed? But, it's an official contest now that we have a prize!
Thanks Bob!!

If anyone wants to put up a prize, that would be cool. If we get more than three, we could bundle them together too.

Since Bama brought up the contest because he needed pics for a calendar, how about I send the winner of each round one of those?

Snake Farm: I'm lookin' at your calendar pic as I write this. What else can I say? Get in the game!

P.S. I haven't forgot, I STILL owe you a tuxedo pic. ;) :eek:

Since Bama brought up the contest because he needed pics for a calendar, how about I send the winner of each round one of those?

Great idea Sam! I won't be able to actually do the calendars until the final contest closes, but as soon as all the submissions are in I'll jump right on it. So, the better the pics, the better the calendar will be! Like last year, I'll pick out 12 or more of the best pics from all the submissions, some will be round winners, some won't be, but all will be what I think are the best representative pics for the site.

I've got an idea for a prize for the final round, but will have to do some checking to see if I can pull it off. That's all I'm gonna say on it for now, because I don't want to get ahead of myself and then not be able to do it.

Latest posts

Back