My project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perx Motorsports

It started life as a 1983 GMC Jimmy 2 door 2 wheel drive. The original plan was to build a complete vehicle for less than $2000 (including car) and run 12.50 in the quarter mile. Well, as somethings od when you are not whole hearted about something, that plan got boring. I had the same vehicle in H.S. that did the same thing but i had like $4500 in that truck. So, i had been wanting to build a "rat rod" of sorts for a while and really test my brother's and my ingenuity.
So, here is where we start. My brother bought a '59 GMC 1-ton delivery van for $326 on ebay to use as his hauler. I'll post a build thread on it also. But wanted to upgrade the front end with more modern technology, like the '85 front clip that is in it now. So, of course, all the old had to come out to make room for the new. Well, I had the front off of the Jimmy to get ready for the motor swap - A running 350/700r4 combo i picked up from a friend for $250!! We removed the front I-beam from the '59 and rolled it out of the way (which put it in front of the Jimmy). That was the end of the 12.50 build.
So, what follows is the pictures of the process. We started on this in the middle of January.

DSC00911.jpg

DSC00954.jpg

DSC00917.jpg

DSC00921.jpg

keep reading.

P1000665.jpg

P1000666.jpg

donor van and yes it is being built also. we've got some really cool things planned for this project. it will have it's own thread in a few days.

P1000712.jpg

DSC00972.jpg

this thing is freaking HEAVY, and wheels were not made to slide sideways - just so you know.

^ that was about 1/3 of the total cut from the firewall.

DSC02996.jpg

holy crap!! the wheels will sit on the outside of the body like i thought!! (we measured first - don't worry)

DSC02998.jpg

anybody got any ideas what the hell this rear is? i thought it was an Eaton 2-Speed but it doesn't have the solenoid.

DSC03094.jpg

the rear frame with some temp. braces for the body

DSC03096.jpg

the roof frame!! we are not putting a rag top on it. here's a hint: if you were bad in school you had to write on it alot!

012-Copy.jpg

mmmmmmm, transverse leaf springs!!

023.jpg

link bars from a mid 90's Kia Sportage. the 4 short ones are 24 inches. the 3 long ones are 40 inches. the short ones will go on the front of mine, next pics. and the 3 (soon to be 4) will go on my brother's Blazer (not the '59). he will cut his down and install adjustable end-links. I bought all these from a JY for $55!!!!!!

005.jpg

simple mockup using cardboard to hold in place. i did pick up some thin sheetmetal for the real mockup pieces tonight. this picture is not flipped, the steering will be on the wrong side - mwahahahaha (rubs hands together for effect).

008.jpg

It'll be 44 inches tall without a channel. i've got 3 3/4 inches before i touch rockers - that may be a winter project.

Well, thanks for taking the time to look at this and i appreciate any comments you have. The only thing i ask is that you be constructive with any comments you make. Unless you are saying it is bad ass then talk all you want!!

Updates: Not much has happened the last few days. We went to see Rodney Carrington, comedian that sings Titties and Beer, in Fort Smith on Friday night and I took the g/f to dinner and ......... on Sat. Night. Sunday was spent at the pops house helping finish it.
So, here's my progress from tonight. Got the fuel cell mounted (still needs rubber around the frame) and got the brake booster and master cylinder off. I should be getting the front 4 link bracket bases picked up tomorrow.

064.jpg

065.jpg

062.jpg

067.jpg

had to move it so we can start fabbing the mount for the wrong side drive.

okay, so okay, so i have been really busy the last 4 months and short on money. The one thing i have found out is that if you want it bad enough, you will find a cheap way to do it or find the money to buy the parts. The front suspension is 90% finished, just some bracing here and there and final welds. we also bought some shackles yesterday and installed them last nite. the rear suspension will be finished tonite or tomorrow. It will be a rolling chassis!
105.jpg

106.jpg

i also have added u bolts to the front spring to help. more pics later today or tomorrow. it should be a roller by this weekend!

I worked on it a little last night and got it suspended on its own suspension! it is now a roller. i have to get the rrear tire to hold air so i can see the exact ride height. the front is still not complete but it just needs some bracing welded in. i got them fabbed last night, just did not have the energy to weld them in. the rear suspension will be held up with inadequite bolts until i can afford to buy some longer ones, i will not drive with these in there.
We will probably work on the steering box mount, panhard bar, and the front braces tonight and tomorrow.
071.jpg

072.jpg

075.jpg

076.jpg

Sorry, i just realized i did not have any pics of the front susp with the shackles. I will be working on the panhard bar, steering box mount, the final bracing this weekend. i'll have pics up on monday.
frontend1.jpg

frontend2.jpg

Uuummmm, about those shackles. They may function properly sitting like that but i think they will flop over in a corner.Yes?No?

Agree, even the front panhard bar won't help because one shackle leans in, one leans out on a turn. I also think the shackles would work better with either both on the inside or both on the outside of the axle mount bushings.
Both problems could be addressed by re building the axle mounts. Alot of work, but it may come to that.

What steering are you using?

the steering box is from a mid 80s Malibu or Cutlass Supreme. Its a manual box so no lines to run for power steering.
let me get some pics up of the panhard bar and see if you guys think it'll work. i really dont want to rebuild the axle mounts.

Last edited:
Bob W, it bounces and the shackles push outward on both sides.
BH, is that a bad thing?

No, I think it is a good thing. Just by looking, the panhard bar should locate the axle left and right. That will make the spring, flex the shackles out when it compresses. I think you nailed it, unusual set up but it should work. I still wish the shackles were both on the outside of the axle braket, instead of one inside and one outside, but it should work okay too. You are coming up with some cool stuff here.

Latest posts

Back