'50 chevy truckster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatheadgary

i have shown this pic several times and was collecting parts for awhile. i got tired of looking at it, so i started on it today.

Last edited:
this is the beginning.

this is the frame, but i am not sure if i will use it. i would have to remove and add so many brackets, it might be just as easy to build a new one.

and this is the front axle. it is a chevy truck with 5 lug wheels. i am not sure if i will use it either. i might just make a tube axle instead out of the axle ends. it also looks bent.

Last edited:
i am also going to use the roof from it to build a '40 willys pickup cab out of a vw bug body, but that will be another build.

Is that a Chevy van front axle? No pickups ever had 5 hole but I think you can used car hubs on one.
different deal but I saw this one for sale a few years back.

Attachments

• ford 57 hood 029.jpg
    ford 57 hood 029.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 84
willowbilly, yea i think your right about the axle. must be a van. also, you can put the car brakes on the pickup too. been there, done that.
gastrick, i welded the cab back together again today. man that was alot of work for one old fart. i am not sure if i want to go through the work of sectioning it too. i will see how i feel about it later. the problem is, i want it to have opening doors and there isn't very many places these cabs have that are flat. obviuosly, if i cut it in the middle of the body, when i try to weld it back it will not line up. probably have to cut it in half again and widen it.:eek::eek:

the frame

well i got stuck on the cab because i need the upper door hinges so i can be sure the cab is square before i cut out the floor, so i started on the frame. due to the ussual, no money, i figured i'd use the stock frame. it took me two days grinding off all the rivets. then i was down to the rails. man, these things have alot of holes in them. anyway, the rails have a hump in the engine area i didn't like so i cut a wedge in it and straightened them out.
i forgot to take a pic of the front, but you can see it in this pic.

this is the wedge i put in it.

this pic is how straight it is now.

this is it finished.

i am going to start making the pick up box next.

some more frame work,

i cut up the frame and got down to just the flat rails,

then i cut the back off to make the kickup,

i didn't like the front piece, so...

now i just have to wait until after the first, so i can spend some money and buy the rect tubing to finish the kickup and the crossmembers. i also cut the sheet metal to size to start making the pickup box, but ran out of radial saw blades to finish it. i cut out the size i need from some steel doors i got from a school and it's too thick for my shear, so it will have to wait too.

well, the first has come and gone!

hi guys! well as i spent more money on other stuff, i didn't get the tubing i needed to finish the frame, but i did start on the pickup box. i would imagine most of you know how to build a box, but for those who want to know, this is how i do it.
these are the pieces i cut out of the steel doors.

i measured a half inch up for the bends on three sides of the end parts. i cut a notch for clearance and mitered the long ends. then bent it.

this is what i got.

the long sides are just measured down 3 inches from the top and 3 inches from the bottom and then bent. the top is bent at 25 degrees and the bottom is 90 degrees. then i just put it together with clecos.

i had these hat sections from inside the steel doors and will put then under the box for cross braces.

when i get some more money, i am going to buy some 1.5 x 1.5 square tube and weld it from the top to the bottom on the ends to create the stiffeners like most boxes have. i will also weld 1.5 round tube to the underside of the top bend to create the rail. for those of you with sharp eyes, yes i had to splice the end pieces together as i didn't have a run long enough as one piece. i will weld all the joints when i get the rest of the tubing. stay tuned!

Hey Gary. Just found you thread here. I like what your doin'. Can't wait for the next post.

Ron

hi youngster! nice to see you here too.
bobw, yea, i drive it in the anra series at backersfield evey other month or so. i run against 10 and 11 second altereds and dragsters. they try to catch me, but i have been in the finals more than any of the other 12 entrants in my class. the bantam isn't all that fast, 15.27 & 90 mph, but it is fun and everybody seems to like it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back