Rustbucket49's 1949 Chevy Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustbucket49

We picked this car up as a father/son project for $1400 after it would not sell on eBay. The guy wanted over $3000. It has been a lesson in frustration, satisfaction, enjoyment and busted knuckles. Hope to have it running some day. Getting closer.....

Here are a few "before" pictures of the car, interior, firewall and trunk. Lot of rust to deal with....

Attachments

• DSC00696.jpg
    DSC00696.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC00697.jpg
    DSC00697.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC00744.jpg
    DSC00744.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC00731.jpg
    DSC00731.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC00694.jpg
    DSC00694.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 63
Before shots of roof (after stripping primer) and front suspension. The previous owner claimed the car was ready for paint. Don't think so!!

Attachments

• DSC02115.jpg
    DSC02115.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC00748.jpg
    DSC00748.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 38
AFTER shots of the interior and trunk..... Basically fab'd my own pieces from flat steel and welded in w/ MIG. I AM NOT a welder by any stretch and blew a lot of holes in the worn out metal..... I am curious how many welds will pop when I torque the frame with the new SBC.

Attachments

• DSC01968.jpg
    DSC01968.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC01972.jpg
    DSC01972.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC01030.jpg
    DSC01030.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC01031.jpg
    DSC01031.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 41
AFTER shots of the firewall. Smoothed as much as I could by welding in holes and using a little bondo skin. Then primed it... I did the same w/ the inner fender wells. I plan to paint the engine compartment body color and then drop in the drive train so I can start enjoying the dude while I'm working on other body stuff.....

Attachments

• DSC01949.jpg
    DSC01949.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC02143.jpg
    DSC02143.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 47
AFTER shot of the roof. It's in acid primer and a little high build. This was a freaking mother to strip all the rust off. I actually primed the thing 2 times, only to have to strip it all again and redo it..... Still working, but dragging my feet a little because I really, REALLY, REALLY want to chop it. I really like the look of HOITINK's build - I like his chop...... The second picture is my "gut check" tape mark for a chop.... I have never done that and am not a proficient welder by any stretch...... A real gut check.....

Attachments

• IMG_5089.jpg
    IMG_5089.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5087.jpg
    IMG_5087.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
AFTER shot of front suspension. Basically stock, but replaced uprights w/ 2" dropped Fatman's. Also installed Jamco disc and cut coils and stabilizer. I need to figure out the steering, but plan to stay stock for now. I really want to bag it, but will do that w/ stock suspension as well. The rear suspension has been redone w/ de-arched leafs and Ford 8.8". Plan to run SBC, 700R4 and 3:05 rear end... I would really like to c-notch and bag the rear as well, but not sure about my proficiencies for that. I have also heard that the tophat frame is not good for welding on due to stress cracking potential.

Attachments

• IMG_5088.jpg
    IMG_5088.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 33
Some tricky rust repair in the corner of the door frame..... Also working on filling in holes where won't be installing trim.....

Attachments

• IMG_3654.jpg
    IMG_3654.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3662.jpg
    IMG_3662.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 51
Here is my goal, but I will probably go darker on paint now. I love this car. I am doing the grill similar to this - requires some welding and fab work..... I also want to pancake the trunk like HOITINK's build - very sweet.

I have learned that you don't take stuff to a hot rod shop if you don't want to pay through the freaking nose!!!! Cost me $1000 to get 3 pieces blasted, worked w/ acid and epoxy primed...... Never again.

Attachments

• cut.JPG
    cut.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 57
Nice work. Look forward to following your build. Good to see you have a quality wrench buliding the motor. Father/son projects are cool.

Looking GREAT! Im building a 54 currently and dealing with some of my rusty issues so I know what you have been through and I commend BOTH of you!

Keep up the great work!

Well, decided to suck it up and pancake the trunk lid. Since I am so confident in my fabrication and welding abilities, I located a spare lid up north and picked it up for 50 clams. It showed up on a Greyhound bus disguised as a snow blower...!!! I've been wanting to flatten the trunk lid for a long time and I got inspired by Hoitink and Flop (from HAMB). Here are a few pix along the way - I'm still working on it.....

First two are before shots from the side showing the bulbous butt. Third and fourth are the cuts laid out. I took out 6 inches. Fifth are the "tools of the trade". I couldn't cut out my brain and lay it down there with the rest of the stuff or else I wouldn't have been able to type this - Har, Har. :p

Attachments

• Car 1.jpg
    Car 1.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 38
  • Car 2.jpg
    Car 2.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 27
  • Car 3.jpg
    Car 3.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Car 4.jpg
    Car 4.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Car 5.jpg
    Car 5.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Here are pix of the cuts and tack work. First picture is the top cut. Second is the lower cut - you can see the guts - I decided to leave them in place because I thought about modifying the skeleton on the fly, but ended up just cutting it out and will do it later.....

Third picture is the deck lid roughed in - you can tell how much you have to modify / stretch to get it to fit. I had to cut off an extra inch on the bottom of the lid after this picture. I also actually ended up welding back in about 1/4" of steel on each side after I test fit the piece. The old saying of "measure twice, cut once" applies here big time!!!! The complex curves make it very difficult to figure out how it will fit. I checked and double checked and triple checked and still missed the cuts a little. Finally figured it out after about 2 days of farting with it.... Don't cut to what you think is your final mark on the first pass!!!! That was my mistake - I should have left some metal and trimmed, but I cut to my final mark the first time - bad move.

Last two are the tacked in piece. I like the look better..... Notice I left the key hole - I like handles, so I am leaving the door handles and the trunk handle on the car. Now need to fix some rust in one corner, tack in the top flat piece, modify the internal guts and finish welding. I will post the final product in a week or so hopefully.

Attachments

• Car 7.jpg
    Car 7.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Car 8.jpg
    Car 8.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Car 9.jpg
    Car 9.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Car 11.jpg
    Car 11.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Car 14.jpg
    Car 14.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I hear that!! Nice job on the lid. I'm going to have to study the pics a little more yet. Thanks for posting the progress.

Thanks Sam brother rat man. Don't look at the pix TOO close - my welding and fabricating skills suck. Thank God that mistakes can be covered with weld beads!!

I have some more "detailed" pix and some measurements if you need some info for a similar project you may be working on. Let me know and I could send you my brain waves.

Bolt, I don't slice and dice until I am sure I have a replacement part waiting in the wings in the high likelihood of an H-I-A.....

Hey, I'm still a newb at welding and body fab myself, so it helps to look at everything. Spent a lot of years DIY woodworking though - I measure and test fit everything until I'm sick of it - trying to add wood back ain't easy! It's carried over to metal work too - measure and test fit constantly, get ready to cut, get paranoid, go back and measure 2 more times, cut.

The only thing I'm good at is fixing my mistakes. :rolleyes:

That was a heck of a great deal at 14 hundred bucks. It'd be 4 times that price 'round here. Looks like a good solid start and it seems you're on your way. When finances allow, I'm looking for a father/son project for my boy and I .

Latest posts

Back