Beer keg tanks

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratcrazy

Anyone have a drawing of a beer keg that has been converted into a gas tank and what connections are needed? What is needed to make the filler spout from. I have finally located a 15.5 gal keg and need to know what to do from here to convert it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Never been to killbillet before, but they have a thread on converting...not sure how helpful it will be. Don't forget the relief valve/rollover valve!

http://www.killbillet.com/showthread.php?t=4339

I hope the links help with the keg tank. I used to be a member of KB way back but I boycotted that site last year and I'll be damned if I'll ever go back. :mad::mad: I look for my information elsewhere these days.

Good luck with it!

Thunder1

Thunder I appreciate the links but after reading about how he built his I am not real sure I want to trust a plastic filler neck being bonded to SS that close to my head being that I am building a roadster out of a 46 Ford cab and the tank would be setting right behind my head. No offence to the guy who built his this way but I just have a problem with those ideas.
I think I will stick to having a SS filler neck and fittings welded in after I find some good and safe plans. What I really need is a line drawing of someone plans on converting the keg to a fuel tank with all the line connections drawn and labeled. Also wondering if I need to have a gas sending unit in it and how to go about installing it?
Thanks again brother.

I'm curious about this as well. I'm at this stage and need to make my tank. I've got a non fuel injected motor. Please let me know if you find anything and I'll do the same.

Later in the thread they mention another way to make the cap...

"First abs will get soft over time and if you have a full tank and it gets the abs wet and after time you won"t get the cap off .Second if you do run it hard and role it or endo it the fill cap will be / could be broken off and you will have fule in a bad place. Just use a pipe cap to match your bung that you welded on and ad a tube to proteck the cap. Looks like you put a lot of work in your baja hate to see it up in smoke. Good luck if you need a cap I have all kinds and will give you one and send it ups N/C . pm me if you need one. thanks palapaboy"

"I was wondering about the ABS....Didn't think about it being week and/or vulnerable enough to be an issue, but it looks like you are right even though it's 1/2 inch thick.

I thought about using a pipe cap but didn't want a spark hazard....Could use a brass or stainless pipe thread allen plug and make it work almost flush.

Thanks for the tip, and the offer."

How about welding the neck in a threaded stainless steel nipple, then brass to that?
I am researching this info as we type here. Mianly because I have 12 antique kegs here that I have been saving up for my next 12 projects... I'll let you guys know what I find out. I plan on basing it on my rock buggy tank. Inlets, outlets, returns, and a roll over vent.

newer style keg tank

keghowto.jpg

Guess that would work the same if the tank was on its side:confused:

Thinking about cutting an old filler spout and line nipples off an old truck tank and having them rewelded on the keg. Like the idea of a clear tube for a gauge too.
Thanks

I built one for my rock crawler toyota pickup. Gota rember, kegs are not alum, they are stainless steel, makes welding them easier.

It works great, I wish I had run a piece of clear tube down the outside as a fuel guage. (or hooked up a sender)
It has a piece of 4x4 box tube cut into the botom as a catch/windage pan, the filler is just an old gas fillerneck that we welded on after (completly destroying) hole sawing the top of the tank. I pulled all the guts out of the keg bung, and caped it with a piece of flat stainless. I needed 3 lines, one send, one return and vent, I used stainless torch tubing I got from a budy who is a torch repair guy. It sucked to bend beacuse its so thick, but we got it to work.

Attachments

• hillbrian.jpg
    hillbrian.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 33

Latest posts

Back