My new project. Sedan/truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmcdanl

This is my new project. Picked it up for 5,000 plus my bike.
l_e0d6c46bcbe346109cfc169d3cecf492.jpg

This is how it looked when i first brought it home.
The guy who owned it before me had pretty much everything tacked on. So i went through and welded up alot of the body until i got lazy and moved to the door frames.
DSCN0952.jpg

The doors were pretty much just the door skins. so i beefed them up by making these door frames. Later on I plan on covering them in sheet aluminum. Next I moved on to the dashboard. The bar was too high up for guages to be put in so i dropped the bar down and angled it so i could put on some sheet metal for the dashboard.
DSCN0954.jpg

Exhaust

Next i moved on to making the zoomie headers. The car came with headers that were cut off to leave about a foot of pipe sticking straight out. So i grinded off each pipe from the back of the flange. Then i went to my local muffler shop and bought aluminized steel pipes and got them to bend them at a 120 degree angle. Then i took them home and cut them to the size i wanted. Then welded them up to the flange.
photo.jpg

Here is the driver side finished and mounted.
DSCN0971.jpg

Next i made baffles for each pipe. I went out and bought some pipe that slid right into the pipes on my headers. Then i cut 8 pieces that were 1 ft long. Then Cut slits an inch and a half apart all the way down the pipes around 4 sides.
DSCN0974.jpg

Then i took a center punch and punched in each slit. This took me foreverrrr.
DSCN0976.jpg

Baffles

DSCN0980.jpg

DSCN0982.jpg

Kind of hard to see but i welded a nut on the inside of the baffle so i could bolt the baffle onto the pipe. making it removable.
DSCN1002.jpg

DSCN1006.jpg

Baffles

DSCN1008.jpg

There it is bolted in.
They dont make it much quieter but it atleast creates some back pressure. dont want to burn up my valves. I plan on taking them out soon and punching some more holes in them.

intake manifold

I decided to put a high rise intake on my car. i have two edelbrock carbs that i just got rebuilt. here is the old intake.
DSCN1015.jpg

and here is the new one put on the car and with the pipes im going to be making into my velocity stacks. dont worry, they aren't going to have that turn at the top. they will look like the next picture. (which is photoshopped)
l_db40fd9e835859f7c45abe8077ee4649.jpg

l_db40fd9e835859f7c45abe8077ee4649c.jpg

dashboard

I went ahead and finished up my dashboard. A while back i moved this bar for the dash down and angled it so i could put some sheet metal on it the way i wanted to. here is before the sheet metal
DSCN0954.jpg

and here it is after the sheet metal. notice the rubber seal on the top. I just thought it would make it look a little better. Its just some door trim from an auto part store.
DSCN1032.jpg

DSCN1030.jpg

Keg gas tank

For the keg gas tank, first i welded the vented cap and the fitting on. Then tried to think of what i was going to do to mount it. So I came up with a bracket that i welded to the bottom of the tank which allows me to bolt it to the bed.
DSCN1063.jpg

DSCN1069.jpg

gas tank/fuel gauge

Then I tried to think of what to do for a fuel gauge. So I decided to go old school and weld two fittings on the top and bottom of the side of the tank, connecting them with a clear fuel hose i picked up at a motorcycle shop.
DSCN1070.jpg

Then I got it sand blasted then took it home and sanded it to make it real smooth then sprayed it with a few coats of clear coat. Came out really good. Here is the final product.
DSCN1085.jpg

velocity stacks/the insides

I started on the guts of the velocity stacks the other day. basically i cut out two disks that slide into the velocity stacks. Then i drilled holes in them for air flow. Im going to weld one disk inside the velocity stack with 4 bolts on it sticking up so that i can put the filter on top of that disk, then slide the other on down on top and rest on the 4 bolts. the tighten a bolt in the center on the threaded stud and that should work. here are some pictures of what i've done so far.
DSCN1092.jpg

DSCN1094.jpg

DSCN1095.jpg

velocity stacks/the insides

DSCN1102.jpg

DSCN1105.jpg

DSCN1106.jpg

this is what im using for the filter. not sure how well it will work. ill let you know when i run it. Its just some polyester padding for seats that i picked up at walmart. its washable, flame retardant and the perfect size. I just cut a circle out and put it in.
DSCN1093.jpg

some drawings and ideas

here are a couple drawings of some plans for the car. let me know any ideas or thoughts you might have. i like the input. you might not be able to read some of the things i wrote in this picture. i have bad hand writing. also in the second picture, which color scheme looks the best? not sure what color i want to go with.
CCF05262009_00001.jpg

CCF05262009_00000.jpg

Nice build chronicle cmcdanl. In your color scheme exercises, I like the top one. I would use black and copper but it's all personal tastes there. Nice job by the way.

Thanks. Black and copper... that sounds interesting. I will look into that.

Thanks.. i had to punch 224 holes for the baffles. and i somehow managed not to smash my fingers.

Really nice work! I'd have to agree with Gastrick. Black & copper would look tough! I like your illustrations too. I've always wanted to be able to sit down and do that but my drawings always come out looking like a first grade art project.

Thanks for the pics!

T1

Ya man the car looks cool. Lots of detail. I like how its coming along. I would hate to punch all of those baffles though. I would have hurt myself for sure.

Thanks alot guys. I like hearing all the feedback and ideas. If anyone ever has any ideas or suggestions let me know. Im open to suggestions.

Latest posts

Back