1962 F100 2wd Shortbox

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lvin4jc

Well I put my '51 F1 build up on here a while back and without telling my life's story let me try to explain. I bought that truck last spring and planned to be driving it early this spring. I was well on my way but my wife was diagnosed with cancer and it brought things to a screeching halt. Before I go on, she had three surgeries and she's fine now, praise God! But any money I saved up for the truck went to medical bills and it was just a pile in the garage instead of a driver this spring.

So I decided what I needed instead was a driveable project that I could enjoy and wrench on at the same time. I sold the '51 (sad day) and started looking for an early 60's Ford. I ran across this one that had been sitting in a field since 1996. It was a local mail truck when it was bought and i'm told it has seen 400,000 miles of road in its day. The engine was rebuilt around 100k ago. They wanted $650 I offered $500 and they took it. I threw a battery in it and some fresh gas (the tank was bone dry, no old stuff) and it fired right up and I drove it on the trailer under its own power. She's rough but I feel good about saving her. I think this one's right at the point where it can still be saved but if left in that field for another couple of years it would have been parts only.

It had 0 brakes when I brought it home but i've replaced the master cylinder and some brake lines and now there's brakes. It has a long way to go but it's driveable. I may finish it with a traditional paint job as a restomod someday but that's a long way down the line. In the meantime I plan to paint the wheels, add beauty rings and hubcaps and new chrome bumpers front and rear and add a little kulture with some pinstriping on the hood and maybe tailgate. And i'll enjoy it as a rat like that for at least a few years until I decide which direction to go with it while I work on the mechanical things. I'm toying with satin black with red scallops in my mind but who knows? Anyway, enough rambling, here's some pics.

5629208147_02d354a83e_z.jpg

5629785610_2f452e0486_z.jpg

5749308623_20a876e748_z.jpg

5749309227_62d0dda41e_z.jpg

dude, that looks good enough to just wax and drive.

"Looks" is the key word there, lol. She has her problems;

#1, I got the brakes working but the rancher saw something he didn't like in the rear brakes because the line to the rears has been cut and crimped, so i'm fronts only right now.

#2, The engine runs smooth but it could smoke the mosquitoes out of a city block. I'm hoping it's dried and cracked valve guide seals and not rings but we'll see.

#3, The exhaust gasket between the manifold and the pipe is burnt out, one of the bolts is gone and i'm sure it got a little lose and that's why its gone. So it sounds a little like a helicopter right now, the rest of it looks good though.

#4, Lots of little things, windshield, driver's front fender, front of bed is rusted through, maypop tires (they may pop at any time) and at the back of the hood the little tack welds that hold it to its frame are all gone so it's a little loose when its open.

But I shouldn't be complaining, that's what $500 trucks are supposed to have wrong with them and after all she's no trailer queen anyway. Actually I plan to use it as my daily driver once i'm done with it (is anyone ever "done?").

EDIT: I just read through your build, that's impressive, I don't think i'd be brave enough to start where you did but it's coming along great now. That engine is beautiful and the valve covers are the cherry on top. Great work!

If you do much city driving, think seriously about doing a disc brake upgrade - it's a world of difference!

I don't think I've ever seen a two tone interior with out the chrome door moldings.

If you do much city driving, think seriously about doing a disc brake upgrade - it's a world of difference!

I don't think I've ever seen a two tone interior with out the chrome door moldings.

The line between red and white on the doors almost looks hand painted, maybe someone touched it up once or maybe that's what it looks like under the trim and someone took it off. Hard to tell what all has happened to it in 50yrs.

Latest posts

Back