1980 suzuki gs 850 gl rat/bobber update

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well since i put up the original thread it looked like a decent bobber that needed allot done on it. however it still looks the same but. i managed to fix 1 of the 4 carbs with a #4guage wire sheath an a hose clamp. an i also cut off the exhaust 14inches an tossed those crappy baffles in the trash now its just runnin straight pipes. its not in the picture but i welded a pipe cover onto the ends of them so it looked somewhat decent few months itll be ready for a paintjob. give me some tips or advice on some things you think would look good on it.

the before an after pictures are posted below[;)

Attachments

• 100_1530.jpg
    100_1530.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG064.jpg
    IMG064.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 47
you know im not too sure on how im gonna do the see nor do i have an idea of the shape i want it but its a bobber an im doin this fix up as cheap as possible so any cheap ideas that would look legit would be accepted in great grattitude lol:cool:

So i picked up an 80 gs 1000 from a guy out of his garage for free. It was a pile, so i was gonna rat it. Then it all went wrong and it got all nice.
Heres some photos for fun.
Hopefully they wont inspire you to stear away from the rat theme.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 38
  • untitled2.jpg
    untitled2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 39
  • CIMG0679.jpg
    CIMG0679.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 43
  • CIMG0672.jpg
    CIMG0672.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 39
could you tell me what you did to the rear part of the frame please i see the difference but i cant tell where your cut an weld is itd be cheaper then buyin a hardtail

new update

ripped off the front breaks with a hack saw since the bolts were severely stripped. just have to take off the brake fluid box on the handlebars probably hack that off too if i cant find the right allen wrench for it. the reason for taking the front brakes off is because they kept locking up while i was riding an i finally got fed up with it so i got angry with a hack saw [ddd any places in bama where i could find a welder? or any ideas i need the rear end cut off an replaced with my new hardtail

could you tell me what you did to the rear part of the frame please i see the difference but i cant tell where your cut an weld is itd be cheaper then buyin a hardtail

Sorry for the slow reply. Apparently i dodnt subscribe to email notifications.

The rear section i completly cut off and welded on DOM tubing. I used a piece of 1/2" plate on each side to fasten it to the old shock studs.

Ill see if i can dig up my old photos so you can actually see it.

On the right side, i cut the old stud flush, then drilled and tapped for a fine thread grade 8 bolt.
The left side, the stud is removable. I used that stud temperarlly untill i could order a specific thread count and legnth bolt from Fastenal.
Here are some pictures.
Take a look at thegsresources site. I have a build thread there documenting my whole build under my user name, jmlcolorado.

Attachments

• rear1.jpg
    rear1.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 15
  • rear2.jpg
    rear2.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 10
  • rear3.jpg
    rear3.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 10
  • rear4.jpg
    rear4.jpg