'50 Chevy 3100...mama got a new ride!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenzie

I'm back and finally got a project to work on!

We picked up this '50 (or so I've been told...how do I confirm the year?) Chevy 3100 3-window truck. It's not the cleanest but I'm happy with the deal we got (talked him down to $500)

Future plans (so far...I'm sure I'll change my mind on some things before it's done)
- I'll most likely ditch the fenders and hood since they're not in great shape and it's not really the look I want.
- 3.5-4" chop
- 5.3l LSx (I'm not sure about the modern engine -especially if running fenderless- but hubs wants fuel injection and I'm letting him get his way on this one)
- Factory frame, possibly z'd
- Mustang II front suspension
- Mustang 8.8 rear axle
- Satin black paint w/ hot pink stripping
- Black/White firewall (it won't be the traditional checkered print but my own "play" off that concept [ddd )

Here's some pics from today...

Attachments

• 50 chev 016.jpg
    50 chev 016.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 50 chev 017.jpg
    50 chev 017.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 50 chev 018.jpg
    50 chev 018.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 50 chev 021.jpg
    50 chev 021.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 50 chev 030.jpg
    50 chev 030.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 50 chev 034.jpg
    50 chev 034.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 50 chev 036.jpg
    50 chev 036.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 50 chev 038.jpg
    50 chev 038.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 50 chev 032.jpg
    50 chev 032.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 50 chev 042.jpg
    50 chev 042.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 42
right on, another fender-less a.d.. almost have ours done. we used the original frame too. make sure to post some pictures when you get started.

And a few problem spots...

- both cab corners are rusted out
- driver's cowl and door are pretty banged up and a little rusted out along the bottom
- there are several rust holes around the cowl vent (assuming that's what it's called...in front of the windshield)
- passenger side cowl (where it meets the front fender) is rusted through
- the floor is pretty ate up
- and the bed will need quite a bit of work...I'm not sure if the tailgate can be salvaged but I haven't looked it over good yet.

On a positive note, there is only one tiny, tiny ding in the roof and the rest of the cab is clean. Also, the frame looks good so far.

Attachments

• 50 chev 040.jpg
    50 chev 040.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 50 chev 057.jpg
    50 chev 057.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 13
  • 50 chev 058.jpg
    50 chev 058.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 50 chev 067.jpg
    50 chev 067.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 50 chev 068.jpg
    50 chev 068.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 50 chev 073.jpg
    50 chev 073.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 17
I'm back and finally got a project to work on!

We picked up this '50 (or so I've been told...how do I confirm the year?) Chevy 3100 3-window truck. It's not the cleanest but I'm happy with the deal we got (talked him down to $500)

Future plans (so far...I'm sure I'll change my mind on some things before it's done)
- I'll most likely ditch the fenders and hood since they're not in great shape and it's not really the look I want.
- 3.5-4" chop
- 5.3l LSx (I'm not sure about the modern engine -especially if running fenderless- but hubs wants fuel injection and I'm letting him get his way on this one)
- Factory frame, possibly z'd
- Mustang II front suspension
- Mustang 8.8 rear axle
- Satin black paint w/ hot pink stripping
- Black/White firewall (it won't be the traditional checkered print but my own "play" off that concept [ddd )

Here's some pics from today...

Great Score and Adoreable younguns. Good Luck with it.[P[;):cool:

1950 sounds about right. Go here with the info from your door jamb tag and you will learn about its birth. http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/VIN.htm

Good luck on the fenderless plan. Donuts1 I believe has the best looking fenderless AD, his build is on here.

All the rust you are finding is fairly typical of these old workhorses.

WOW!!!!!!!! Sweet find, on both your hubby's part and yours, so where does a guy find gals like you? Not only interested in old cars but talks the talk walks the walk. Good luck on the build and keep us up to date.[cl[dr[P

Thanks for the kind words guys :D

1950 sounds about right. Go here with the info from your door jamb tag and you will learn about its birth. http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/VIN.htm

Good luck on the fenderless plan. Donuts1 I believe has the best looking fenderless AD, his build is on here.

All the rust you are finding is fairly typical of these old workhorses.

Thanks for the link...very cool! First 3 of my VIN are 3HP so looks like it is a '50...and was built in St Louis

Oh, and I've had Donuts1's build saved in my favorites for awhile...an inspiration, for sure

Looks like a decent find. Hopefully you will change your mind about removing the front clip... [ddev

Nah, sorry, already took half of it off today and the rest will be off tomorrow :eek:

(hubs helped since I'm a pansy and couldn't get a few of the bolts out)

If I have time I'm going to take the seat frame out tomorrow as well and get the rats nest cleaned out of the cab and engine.

Attachments

• 50 chev 092.jpg
    50 chev 092.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 50 chev 094.jpg
    50 chev 094.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 50 chev 095.jpg
    50 chev 095.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 15
Very cool. Keep the hood and lay the grille back after narrowing it. Bob the bed some and move the cab back on the chassis. Just my thoughts heck build it like you want. Very cool! and good luck to you

That's been today's debate...hood or no hood. Hubs says keep it and I'm not sold on the idea. And, I came up with a plan for the stock grille today too...if I decide to use it. I still love the look of a '33-34 Ford Coupe grille but they're soooo overplayed...so I hesitate on that one (oh, and then there's the price! lol)
The bed will definitely be bobbed...just not sure how much yet.

Last edited:
That's one reason I don't want to keep the hood...once the cab's chopped and the bed is bobbed the hood might look out of place. On the flip side, keeping the hood would mean the modern engine is a little more discrete.
We'll see, for now it's staying on and I'll make up my mind after we make a little more progress.

The trick to making the hood work is wheel placement. If you don't push that axle out front more the hood looks too long. This is why Donuts1 has the look. As for the grille, use 4 bars trimmed and capped at the edge of the hood. That will give it a track nose look.

Again, it is yours, make yourself happy. :)

Latest posts

Back