6 volt charger?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellwood59

hey fellas,

Haven't been around too much cause I got a new toy. A '40 LaSalle sedan.

Always been a Caddy guy.(had a '68,'72HT,a pair of '58 Fleetwoods) but this is my first bone-stock flathead 3spd SIX VOLT ride. All most got her to fire today! But the 6volt battery took a nap. I'm still a rookie(at 51) at this so be gentle. Can I "jump" a 6V with a 12V? Can I charge a 6V with my old 12V battery charger? (has 2amp & 10amp settings)
ogh yea.....how does the positive ground thing affect the above questions?[S
Stand by I'll have lots of stupid questions in the near future, thanks

Ellwood

Tim, we need lots of pictures of the LaSalle.

Yes you can jump a 6 volt with a 12 just don't do it for long.
I would get a charger with a 6 volt setting on it to be sure. At 2 amps it may not hurt it if not on for very long. Check the output with a voltage meter.

Thanks Don

How about that positive ground thing......like when using jumper cables or a charger??

Last edited:
OK......my battery charger, on 2amps,just kicked it's breaker

the car is 6V positive ground, could I with cables,jump her off a 12V car?

I'm sure she'll run if we can get her to turn just a little faster[S

I'm 99% sure you can't jump positive ground with a negative ground! Negative 12 volt with a negative 6 volt can be done, but do it quickly! I have a 6 volt Harley and I've done it before.....best to just get a 6 and 12 volt charger. I know they still make them...CR

cool, good idea. don't need to make more problems to solve.:D thanks CR.

hey I'd appreciate it if you'd pass the word on my sidehack for sale
could use the coin for "Lucille"
on here under misc. for sale

Thanks
Ellwood

Jumping 6v w 12v

I would use an extra 12 volt battery to jump the LaSalle. I don't like trying to jump a positive ground with a negative. Set an extra battery un a board on the ground, hook pos to pos, neg to neg. should start fine. I have seen some worn out old 6 volt Chevy trucks that had to be jumped with a 12 volt battery every morning to get them spun up fast enough to crank. then they would run all day.

With me being from the trucking industry some of the trucks in the 60's used to be positive ground. White Freightliner used positive ground. You can use jumper cables to jump start from negative ground to positive ground systems. Just connect your batteries positive to positive and negative to negative like any normal setup. The one important thing to remember is absolutely do not let the vehicles touch each other when you do this. It will be like a short circuit.

Good luck on getting Your Caddy up and running!!
Now lets see some pics. lol

Latest posts

Back