6v to 12v

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I always use as a reference, also you will have to change out all light bulbs, and put a voltage reducer in line with the gage cluster if you do not update it. P.S. I also like to use the Ballast Resistor from an old DeSoto, and a 12volt condenser on the side of the distributer.

12valt.jpg

Ok another question, if this motor is locked up (which it probably is) and i go out and get a 318 or some mopar engine. What all would it take then? Just rewiring the lights and dash or what?

If your wiring is in good shape, it is more than sufficient to carry the load........6 volt wiring is actually heavier than 12 volt stuff. You would need to change every bulb, put resistors on stuff like gauges, wiper motor, radio (if the original) and the heater blower motor.

Don

Alright, im sure ill have more questions later on. Thanks to everyone for being patient with me, its my first full build and im going to have several several questions. Going to try and do all the work, or as much as i can by myself so i can say i did it. So alot of learning is ahead of me.

That's the beauty of these forums, we all learn from each other and try to help one another. I know I've learned a ton of stuff I never knew. :):)

Don

I was just over at my friend house last night and he has a '63 VW Bug with a 12v generator(or alt???) and he had some little inline adapters that drop the voltage to 6V for certain components like the wiper motor, dash lights, etc. Not sure what they're called though. They look like a residual valve for your brake lines.

Sean

Zenor Diodes, ( luv that word Zenor,good name for one of yer kids) You can get them in any amount of voltage drop you want, I found a huge supply of them at places like Best Buy, or Fry's Elctronics. jus solder them into the power supply wire to what ever accessory you wish to drop the volts to.

I have been looking for a diagram like that FOREVER and what do you know the first time being on here I FIND IT!!!!! I already love this place!

Latest posts

Back