An unbelievable 1946 story

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ag.Shoprod

Yesterday me and my dad went to a mans house who has farmed since he graduated high school and my dad has played music for over thirty years. My dad was only 16 years old when he started playing bluegrass with this man. He ended up being almost a second dad to my dad. We had rode over to his house to check out the new building he built to hold a few of his old farm toys like his restored Case 1033, his 60s F100, his Farmall Super A, and his IH 190 truck. Since we were there he asked us to help him drag his 49 Chevy 3600 under the shed too. He told me to get in the truck and steer it behind his Farmall MD.

After he showed us the ins and outs of his new shed he told us to hop on the golf cart with him and he had something else to show us.

He drove us to his neighbors house and in an old barn sat a 1946 Chevy 1.5 ton! It was the first truck he used to haul grain in when he first started farming. He had told us before that he had one and we could grab whatever parts we needed from it. Seeing this truck, there was no way i could ask for parts off of it. This truck had NO rust holes anywhere. Had a lot of original paint still on it too. The only surface rust was on the tops of the fenders.

Like i said earlier he has played music with my dad for a while. Well he came over to scrub off a few songs with us today. Right after the sixth song we played he looked at me and asked if i got any sleep from dreaming about that truck all night. So i told him Truthfully I had only got about three hours last night because of that. Then he looked at me and said "What will you give me for that truck?"

I was FLOORED. As sentimental as that truck was to him he was telling me he wanted to sell it to me. I couldn't answer him. I knew to him it was worth several hundred dollars more than i could pay him. So i just stood there babbling going "uhhhhhhh?"
He said "Well how about $200?"
I'm thinkin Wow. "You would sell me that truck for $200?"
He said "No way, thats too much. I'll take half of that."
"Youd take $100 for that truck?!"
He said "No way, thats too much. I'll take half of that."
"no way you'd sell that truck to me for 50."
He said again "No way, thats too much. I'll take half of that."
"This aint how a seller is supposed to negotiate. I feel like i'm stealing it at 200!"
He said "Well here is my final offer then. You and your daddy come pick that truck up and just get it running." "I'm giving it to you if you'll just get it running and help me on my 49." "The only thing you have to pay for is to change the title into your name."

Its still hard to believe. No amount of thanks will repay him for this.

The last thing he told me is......

"You know one day before too long, i'll be gone. That truck will still be here, and you probably will too. You see, I dont want to be remembered as someone who took. I want to be remembered as someone who was a giver."

that is just plain COOL!!!

love to see there are still good people out there and they take care of good people

That is a Man ! Please remember what he said, he won't be around for long. The time you spend with him will be a greater gift to you in the years to come than the truck.

I was almost tearing up at the end! Really - my wife is cutting onions :p Seriously though, that is very cool of the guy and he obviously realizes you will appreciate it. Good fortune for both of you.

nice story hope you can feel his wish it would be sweet to see the old buck driving it around the farm, good luck hope you can post a pic or two

Great story and well written (I love paragraphs).

The truth is no amount of cash you could have paid him would have meant more to him than the joy he got from giving it to you. Only bad thing (if it happened to me) is that I don't sell "gifts".

Awesome !

That is an awesome story man![cl
I kinda had the same thing happen to me!
A man that taught school with my dad had a 29 sedan body (now mine)
and I ask him how much he wanted for it? He said " Come and get it it's
yours as long as you never sell it" !
Needless to say I'll own it FOREVER !:D
Great to hear there are REAL men out there still !
P.S. I took this old man a ride in the sedan when I got it completed
and I never saw anyone SMILE so BIG for so long in my life!
He was so pleased he gave it to me and I brought it back to life!
Go get that trk and make him proud![cl[cl

Latest posts

Back