Another SC nube...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoShopSkills

Been lurking for a while, as I am looking for a H.P. project. Have considered turbocharging a personal watercraft to reach higher speeds than production boats, but keep coming back to this site and all the great participant's posts here! I think I've completely given up on starting any boat projects. I just recently sold a general aviation training plane to make room (and a little cash) for a rad rod project. I would like to build something obnoxious vs. the next small block chevy powered roadster. Very fortunate to own lots of tools... like a milling machine, lathe, plasma cutter and a state of the art welder and a roomy climate controlled shop to work in, but lots of questions too. So feel free to comment. Pleasure to make your acquaintance(s):

1) I often wonder how people choose engine, transmission and differential components and combinations? I am sure I can hook up just about anything, but how do you know what works well together?

2) Has anyone ever done a european rat rod? I have a spare mid 80's BMW sitting around with an engine problem…. I'd want to build a frame and open up the engine area, that might be fun, but a few cans of worms would be opened too, like weight and that little 2.5L straight 6... unless it got turbocharged or bolted to another engine.

3) Also haven't seen many IFS rods. Looks like everyone stays truer to solid drop axels and early spring suspension systems. I've searched but can't find any threads where guys deviate from older style suspension systems.

Anyhow I like spending time reading about all your great ideas. Once I get started I hope to contribute a few too. Thanks!

Welcome to RRR!

1. In the rat world, most often parts are chosen by what you have handy or can get on the cheap.

2. It's not the foreign part that is usually the problem, it's the newer body styles that are hard to make look right as a rat or traditional type custom.

3. There are a lot of IFS set ups on here and even a few IRS too, but they are normally kept under fenders. IFS rarely looks as clean as a straight axle - and if someone does get it to look right, it takes a lot more work to get it there. Not to mention the frame horns usually jut way out front in an ugly way and often it looks nose heavy.

A lot of the problems with newer stuff and IFS is the builders don't have the vision and/or the ambition to get it right. I've seen several late model fenderless truck build attempts, but I haven't seen a s10 or similar fenderless turn out right yet - few ever get to the point of drivable.

Thanks guys,

There is a 1960 ford truck in my neighborhood for a few hundred bucks but I see it more as a restoration than a parts contributor… I guess I'll keep looking around and maybe take a trip to the junkyard this weekend. I have the fab skills I just don't seem to have a third of the creative vision most guys that scratch build or highly modify seem to have.

Hi and welcome to RRR from northern Alberta.
Sam Fear touched on a few good bits of advice, the over-all look has to be considered and a newer foreign car with the front fenders ripped off doesn't do it. Being different just to be different isn't usually cool.
I like the 1960 Ford truck idea you have. A few years ago a hot rod artist drew a picture of that era of truck with the back end of a '59 Ford car for a box. He had it as a tail dragger and it had fender skirts. Awesome! Anyhow, food for thought.

Here's the Ford... where to start? I love the stamped grill that bars the headlights together. The front of the hood is interesting too as is the small roof-line extension over the front window. But I am lost as to how I'd retain the looks of the truck to set it on a new frame. Do you guys typical do concept drawings and the work towards them?

I like it.
My drawing skill is not there so I have my concept pictured in my head, mostly. I also Photoshop quite a few of my projects and chop them, lower them or 'encoupe' a sedan.
Your '60 probably has leaf springs all the way around so it should be easy to lower it. It may also have a 292 Y-block so your laughing all the way to the bank because you have the best motor going.
Keep on tinkering.

Welcom

Like MercuryMac said, picture it in you mind and let the force be with you. [cl
If you can think it you can build it. Sounds like you have plenty of tools and equipment.
The Ford truck can go many different ways and look good, it's what you think is beautiful :rolleyes:

IFS can work in MHO [S

Build120a_zps3d030e0c.jpg

Welcome to RRR!
I think the truck is a great starting point... honestly I think the body looks just as it should if you want that original patina'd ratty rat rod! I think the body needs very little, but there is a ton you can do to make it your own style with driveline, and suspension changes...

Would be a tough truck to chop and keep proportional... And curved glass can be a real pain I hear to get cut.

Very cool!

…but a deal on the truck fell through, so I went out shopping for a project this morning and will post some photos of potentials in a new post somewhere...

Latest posts

Back