Are We Being Canned????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olcarguy

Are we being "canned"?

Food For Thought

Read to the end
Subject: The Can from CHINA

When the Canadian dollar was low in value, foreign companies bought up most of the businesses in Canada at garage sale prices.
Foreign owners have closed down the canning factories in Exeter (north of London, ON) and in the Niagara area. As a result the local farmers have no place to sell their produce or have it preserved. In the soft fruit producing area of Niagara, farmers have ripped out their peach trees because other than road side stands who will buy their fruit? The big companies have already decided and publicly announced that it is cheaper to buy canned peaches from Greece, so that is what you will see in stores. The farm land is being sold to developers and turned into big house and condo developments. The canning factory in Exeter was eventually taken over by a co-op of former employees and they will try to make a go of it but it sounds kind of shaky. The politicians stood by and did nothing.

Garlic is no longer produced in Canada because it comes from China at a price cheaper than the cost of production in Canada. That's all you see in stores and there is no Canadian produced garlic to choose from even at a higher price. Maybe the high taxes in Canada have something to do with it?? A small but determined radical group trying to unionize farm labour didn't help matters either.

Sure all these trade agreements bring us low cost material goods, but if everyone is out of a job who is going to buy these products?

Good luck trying to find 100% Canadian products in stores.
The only way to find such a thing is to deal directly with the farmer and leave out the retailer.

"FOOD" for thought. More information on this subject.....

I WAS BUYING FOOD THE OTHER DAY AT THE COUNTRY MARKET. ON THE LABEL OF SOME PRODUCTS IT SAID 'FROM CHINA '.

FOR EXAMPLE THE "OUR FAMILY" BRAND OF THE MANDARIN ORANGES SAYS RIGHT ON THE CAN FROM CHINA I WAS SHOCKED!! SO FOR A FEW MORE CENTS I BOUGHT THE LIBERTY GOLD BRAND OR THE DOLE IS FROM CAL .

Another example was in canned mushrooms. No-Name brand came From Indonesia . Next to them were President Choice brand.

Produce of Canada !! The P. C. Went into my grocery bag.

TAKES FOREVER JUST TO BUY FOOD AND DO LABEL READING !!

Are we Canadians and Americans as dumb as we appear
--- Or --- is it that we just do not think?

While the Chinese, knowingly and intentionally, export inferior and even toxic products and dangerous toys and goods to be sold in North American markets, the media wrings its hands and criticizes the Bush Administration (now Obama Administration) (and the Harper Government!)
for perceived errors.

Yet 70% of North Americans believe that the trading privileges afforded To the Chinese should be suspended.

Well, duh... Why do you need the government to suspend trading privileges?

SIMPLY DO IT YOURSELF, CANADA/AMERICA!!

Simply look on the bottom of every product you buy, and if it says 'Made in China ' or 'PRC' (and that now includes Hong Kong ) simply choose another product, or none at all. You will be amazed at how dependent you are on Chinese products, and you will be equally amazed at what you can do without. Who needs plastic eggs to celebrate Easter?
If you must have eggs, use real ones and benefit some North American farmer. Easter is just an example, the point is do not wait for the government to act. Just go ahead and assume control on your own.

THINK ABOUT THIS, If 200 million North Americans refuse to buy Just $20 each of Chinese goods, that's a billion dollar trade imbalance resolved in our favour . . . Fast!!

The downside? Some Canadian/American businesses will feel a Temporary pinch from having foreign stockpiles of inventory.
Wahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

The solution? Let's give them fair warning and send our own message.
Most of the people who have been reading about this matter are planning on implementing this on June 4, and continue it until July 4. That is only one month of trading losses, but it will hit the Chinese for 1/12th of the total, or 8%, of their North American exports. Then they will at least have to ask themselves if the benefits of their arrogance and lawlessness were worth it...

" Remember: June 4 to July 4 "

EVEN BETTER. . . START NOW!

Send this to everybody you know.

Let's show them that we are intelligent Canadians and Americans, And NOBODY can take us for granted.

If we can't live without cheap Chinese goods for one month out of our lives, WE DESERVE WHAT WE GET!

Pass it on, North America !!

I am with you on this, but I also think food and such coming from Mexico is not good. They lack the quality control that we have. I try to by made in USA when I can but alot of times there aren't any

I'm all for this too. In fact I've been on this for years already. I always read where it comes from. "EVERTHING" from food to tools. If it says China I simply don't buy it. If I can't find a similar North American product I will make of point of asking the owner/manager why not. Quite often they will go out of there way to find a supply and bring in what I'm looking for. We can't trust our governments to do the right thing so it's on every one of us to do it. Stores like Wallmart never see a dime of my money, and if I receive a gift from someone who purchased it there I will respectfully decline the gift, and explain why. I have noticed a difference in attitudes about this as well. When I started this years ago people thought I was some sort of tree hugger, but things are very different now.

i'm on both sides of this, where i live it's pretty easy to buy food that was produced locally, so that's what i do. but as far as some things go i don't mind buying imported things. i'd rather employ other americans whenever possible, but i also have some political feelings about it in that i think the government and most of the large companies out there have basically sold us out. it's really not about the little guy anymore. it's really not about people anymore. it's about producing as much for as little as possible and making as much profit as possible, so you make it where it's cheap, use robots, ship it in bulk, sell it at a big box store.... where i'm from you used to be able to have ANYTHING you wanted made for you there, now it seems like a quarter of the city is made up of empty factories. the town my dad lives in is basically a shell of old businesses which can't compete with wal mart, home depot and lowes and so went under. i personally feel like these companies are whats driving america under, as well as the whole "throw away" society. but in an effort to not get into a long political rant. i'm going to stop now.

I refuse to buy any food from either Mexico or China. Fortunately we are able to produce and can, freeze or dry enough to get us by in the winter, and there is a number of local organic growers in my area to get produce. And stores that sell local hypnotically grown veggies in winter. If you can grow your own produce, container gardens can produce a lot of veggies, tomato's, cukes, spinach etc.

Buy North American when you can, its all consumer driven.

"...FOR EXAMPLE THE "OUR FAMILY" BRAND OF THE MANDARIN ORANGES SAYS RIGHT ON THE CAN FROM CHINA I WAS SHOCKED!! ..."

LOL - Mandarin Oranges are Chinese! :D Coulda used a better example?

I try to pay attention to where things are made just for the simple reason of quality.

buy local

We picked a 5 gallon bucket of green beans today and the last of them are in the pressure canner right now. Good Oklahoma grown produce for the dinner table this winter!

We have a nice little sticker here in the state that I look for "MIO", it stands for "Made in Oklahome" and the products must meet a basic requirement... it has to be made, grown, fabricated, etc. in our state to wear the label. Not imported and assembled , repackaged after arriving or so forth.

I grow my own food as much as possible. I definately don't buy any food from China, our FDA rubber stamps so much stuff without really checking it. But they also allow the US producers to use way more chemicals and genetic engineering than what I consider safe. You cannot buy beef that hasn't had growth hormones and we wonder why America has an obesity problem??? Pesticides, herbicides? Do you want stuff on your food that kills other organisms? Think about it.

Latest posts

Back