Back from Turkey Run.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

Thank the Lord, we made our annual round trip to Turkey Run safely and with only a couple of minor issues.......very minor. We left Wednesday and the prediction was that Thursday AM was going to be the coldest day of the year, and they WERE RIGHT. We woke up in Daytona to about 39 degrees and it didn't get somewhat warm until almost noon......even then it was cold.

Only problem we had on the 250 miles going there was that I lost one of the tailpipes on my 27. It fell off on I-4 and my Sons, who were following me, saw a bunch of cars running over it. :eek: No big deal, I was planning on revamping the exhaust system anyway, so now I have an excuse. Don was looking for a decal to buy me that said "Honk if parts fall off !" :eek:

Cops were VERY heavy in Daytona this year, with them even driving through BelAire Plaza at 10 pm with flashing lights on their cars. I stopped one cop and asked why they were doing that and he said "They just wanted to encourage people to move along and not loiter there." That is what they did a few years ago and it looks like they are back at trying to discourage the car cruise in at that plaza.

We found some things we really wanted to buy at the swap meet, I found some narrower front rims for my rpu project and also two new tires from Coker to go on them. Going to have the rims powder coated this week and get the tires mounted so I can get started on it once again. Dan bought an Auto Twirler rotisserie so he can flip his Mustang upside down to work on the undersides. He has wanted one for a long time and finally pulled the trigger this year.

Drank a lot of beer, ate some great dinners, and generally had a REALLY good time. We got sprinkled on a few times and the temps were not usual Florida warm, but still ok. We left today, Sunday, and made pretty good time coming back.

Only glitch I had coming home was that as I was driving along my car started to lose power quickly. I was able to pull into a Dollar General Store and after checking out the motor I found my coil had died. Luckily, for some reason, I grabbed an MSD coil I had laying around before we left last week and tossed it into the tool bag. I have no idea what made me take it, but someone was watching over me because we were back on the road in 10 minutes with the new coil in place. [cl

I am sore, tired, and broke, but man was it fun ! As much as we were looking forward to going this year we were also looking forward to getting back home. As usual, I didn't take any pictures, sorry. Someone else will probably post some though.

Don

Awesome man. Glad you made the trip ok. We ended up down at the beaver bar for their first annual rat rod show on Friday and then walked around till about noon Saturday. It was so packed that we kinda lost interest and came home. Best day is Thursday for sure. We will be down there then next year.

glad yall had a good time and made it home safe. i'll have to make that show sometime.

Sounds like y'all had a good time :D
Isn't it amazing how things work out if , we just listen to the voice in our heads :cool:
Well the excitement was short lived being as, you don't have pix for us here at the home front
pouting-face-smiley-emoticon.gif

I was wondering if you would be there Don. I wasn't able to make this year. Between family commitments and trying to get my car back on the road it just didn't work out for me. Glad it was an uneventful ride up & back.
There is always next year :rolleyes:

Thanks, guys. This was one of the coldest years I can remember there and it really put a damper on night time cruising for us, but the days were pleasant, but REALLY windy.

But anytime you can drive 500 miles in a roadster and come home safe it is a good trip. :D

Don

No, I didn't see Bill or any of his family, and am really concerned. I saw that his Brother, Rod, was registered with his Dad's Pontiac, but I didn't see him either. I just wish one of them would come on and let us know they are ok or what is going on. :(

If you read this, Bill, please let us know how you guys are doing.

Don

Latest posts

Back