Been a crazy couple of months

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

440shorty

I've missed being here to get updates and share what I've been up to, which lately has been very little car wise, so here is the update.

(1) I've changed careers, finally, for the good. After working my way through college and then full-time for 13.5 more years, I've finally QUIT being a full-time auto mechanic, and boy, does it feel good! The auto repair world just about ruined the car hobby for me, and has put me in a deep hole financially. No more.

(2) I started my new career March 28, and have not looked back. I work for the Maryland Transit Administration (MTA) Light Rail Division, Baltimore, MD as an 'A' Repairman, Systems Maintenance. And I LOVE my new job. Benefits will allow me to get my teeth cleaned and fixed up after 15 years of neglect, and my wife and daughter's too! The job is not a stress cooker, there is no direct interaction with the public (read: customers) and I work 40 hours a week plus 2.5 hours per week lunch break. If there is a time I have to work past the 8 hours, I'll get 2 hours OT minimum. Ahhhh... I can now look forward to working on the hot rod.

(3) The day after tax day (and two weeks after starting my job) we got evicted. Not for not paying rent, but because the land lord wants to move back into their house. Except for the insane amount of work required to move (I have way too much stuff!) it is a blessing. That old house is falling apart. We found a great new place that is only 3 years old.

(4) My wife got diagnosed with breast cancer, but it is very early. She is undergoing treatment and sees the doctor weekly. She continues to work.

This is the first day in over a week that I've even sat at the computer, much less had time to visit here.

Thanks for being here, RRR, and I look forward to attending some events later this year.

440shorty

I'm really glad the way things are working out for you 440. Sorry about your wife, but she'll beat it. You and your family must feel like your 10 feet tall about now. Congrats and good luck.

glade to see ya back 440shorty,I can deffinately relate to ya .But i got a job painting houses with my step dad and things are getting back to normal here too . Its nice to work an unrelated job and come home to work on yer hot rod! Hope your wife does well ,keep your chin up.

Hope everything works out for you 440, Sounds like a good move career and house wise and good luck to your wife, keep us posted. My dad did the same thing, a mechanic almost all his life and at about 50 gave it up and drives a truck local for a frieght carrier, 7-4 mon-fri and he was a new man.
Scott

Well 440shorty, you've had a lot of recent changes. It's good to hear that some of them have been for the better. I hope your wife is well and it's good that they caught the cancer early. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer about two years ago. She underwent surgery and over a year of subsequent treatments. It appears that everything is fine with her.

thanks!

Thanks for the encouragement. We are doing fairly well. Very soon I'll be back to work on the project cars.

440shorty

Hey 440Shorty, Glad you're back and also glad you're out of that stressful job. I'll be praying for your wife. I'm sure she'll be fine. Harleyboy

Sounds like things are coming together for you.
I spent a big chunk of my life in the auto repair business. I made some good money, but never as a shop owner. I did enjoy tyhe challenge and the learning curve but always dealing with selling something people do not like to spend money on gets you down after a while.
Best wishes to you and your family.

Latest posts

Back