Brake peddle is darn hard to push....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ezheimers

I'm running four disc brakes taken from a wrecked 1971 Vette on me 1941 Pick-Me-Up
and it takes a manly man to push the standard Master Cylinder, as is...

The brake peddle is firewall mounted with a 5:1 ratio. Existing New Master Cylinder has a 1 1/8 bore, double feeds and I've got to do something...?

My scouring around for information tells me that I should have purchased a new Master Cylinder with a 7/8" bore.....? And that would solve my problem...?

Any advice for this old man...? What have you found...?

Appreciate anything..... -EZ

7/8" bore will help, for sure. I have a 7/8" bore with about 5 1/2 to one ratio with a disc/drum set up and the peddle still takes quite a bit of effort.

Blue

Why not just buy a master cylinder for a 71 Vette? Seems it should match?

BTW, when did a quick search, I came up with the non-power M/C for a 71 Vette as having a 1" bore.

opinion

Hi Ezheimers,
I'm running discs / drums on a '55 Merc pick-up with a standard master cylinder. One of my hired men was a mechanic and he laughed at my set up while guessing that I had to push on the brake pedal awfully hard. He was right; not the part about laughing at me, the pedal push part. He said "Get a power booster in there, you don't have to push disc brake pads very far but you've got to push them damn hard." I took his word for it and bought a smallish vacuum booster and master cylinder and kept them hidden under the floor like the standard master cylinder had been. My brakes came alive, once I got everything adjusted right. That was five or six years ago and the brakes are still working very nicely. Vacuum power brakes 'worked for me'.

Discs do take more pedal pressure than drums, and 4 wheel discs are even worse. If you can get a booster in there, as Mac suggests, it will make them work a lot better. They make some really small boosters any more, so you should be able to get one to fit.

Don

I have 4-wheel disks on 2 rods and just use the standard ford-type MC that Speedway sells with thier brake pedal kits. They are like $40 and work great. I think 7/8 bore.

1 1/8th is an awfully big bore for non-power brakes.

Fixed me brakes....

Dirty... You were right on. (Others too...!) The formula figures out that what I needed was the 677# with a 7/8 bore.

Put one on today - What a difference. It works GREAT!

Again to all you very knowledgeable hot rodder's... A BIG "Thank YOU" -EZ

Attachments

• 1.2.jpg
    1.2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back