Budget build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E$rnie Pintor III

Ok hears the deal. I have a 50 f-1 that I want in the weeds . I zed the frame at the fire wall and have a huge steep notch over rear axle . Front suspension will stay stock but I want to do something in rear. Was thinking if making a two link style set up of of the front spring perches ( shackles) .use a pan hard bar and air bags. But I recently seen people talking about quarter elliptical springs . Could I use those or could I just cut a regular set of leaf springs ? Is that safe? By using springs will I get more side to side travel ?

Using a quarter elliptical spring like that, there would not be enough to keep the axle from rolling. You would need to use a upper and lower like a 4-link. Even if it didn't roll, it would bind when twisted.

You may be able to remove all but the main leaf and then add the bags. The springs would keep the axle in place - although you may have problems with wrapping.

Take apart the rear springs and reassemble upside down. It will be down in the weeds then! Then you could add bags to pump it up if needed

Latest posts

Back