car chemistry zoomie baffle reveiw,hp killers

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derbyking

my 39 dodge has a 505 ci BB mopar.eddy rpm heads,.588 lift lunati solid cam,tunnel ram with two 500 eddy carbs,ect. i was told this combo would make a easy 575-600hp by several well known mopar engine builders.i used car chemistry zoomie baffles and my own custom built 2" zoomie headers.i could never get the carbs dialed in all across the board so i went to the dyno last week.at first we just concentrated on air fuel and after ALOT of tuning we found we couldnt lean the carbs out enough to get better then 11-1 and found the engine actually loosing power over 4000 rpm faster then it made power to there.[S it made 260 rwhp and 350ftlbs. i had put the baffles in the headers well before the engine was finished so i didnt give much thought to them being too restrictive.we soon came to the conclusion it just wasnt breathing.on the last run we made it sprung a tranny leak so i never got to do a pull without the baffles. i was leaning to having two tune ups if the drive ability was ok with them in.i brought it home and fixed my trans leak and went for a drive,drive ability still sucked,so i pulled the baffles and took i drive.i found my other 200 hp,drive abilty was great,and the truck is a monster,at idle and low rpm it really isnt much louder then with them it just has a WAY deeper pro-stock sound to it.it is considerably louder when you get on it. im headed back to the dyno to finish the tune un-corked.looks like i might have to build a set of baffles myself.

so with out the big long story it seems the CC baffles are good for a under 300 crank hp engine and not much else.they do a ok job of taking the edge off the noise level but in comparison to how restrictive they are im not impressed.the other thing that iratated me was they showed them with stainless packing and they came with fiberglass.theres not much packing left on them now.

Not at all surprised. Well, I wouldn't have thought it would effect your low end that much, but I'll assume the motor isn't set up for low end torque either? We might need some video...

Years ago there was a lot of talk and magazine articles about the 'gang cut' inner muffler tubes catching and disturbing the exhaust flow and causing a hp drop. It was found that the smoothwall perforated tube was better at keeping the hp but was louder. Purple Hornies were built like that...and they were loud. Friend had a 67 Mustang with them, he would make the bell in my home phone jingle when he drove by.

I wonder how much of the loss can be attributed to zoomies, and not having a collector with a single baffle????[S

That would affect low end flow, but at higher rpms exhaust pulse takes a back seat to getting the exhaust out of its own way - think dragster. (IMHO)

Yep, if you were that interesting in HP zoomies are not the way to get it. The only really good setup is an equal length tuned header going into a common collector. As much as we rodders like our zoomies and our lakes headers, they really don't give us optimum hp.

Put some real headers on that car and watch the hp climb. :D

Don

I had the same basic issue when using exhaust insersts on my 392 Chysler. I removed them and all was well. The inserts I used were of a spiral design.

this motor makes pleny of low end power,i figured it would even with zoomies and a tunnel ram.i figured zoomies would cost me 25-35 hp but it has plenty when its not plugged up.1st gear is pretty much useless now.i really want the zoomies for looks but with the baffles out they are REALLY LOUD on a 505ci engine.im pretty shure i could blow little kids off the side walk too :D
im going to try and make my own 1 3/4 baffles and see if i can tone it down enough to live with other wise i think ill build a set of headers similar to the twisted ones sanderson has and use a race muffler on the end.

Make your own baffles.

weld on.......[;)

Attachments

• DSCN9729.JPG
    DSCN9729.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back