Cash Only

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kzoldman

My little 89 Ranger go to work truck has a little over 200000 on it and knocks. The 2.9 had to be the worst Ford engine ever for oil getting where it needs to be. Well, I saw a Ranger on C'sL today in nice shape for a 93, low miles and a 3.0. When I got off work this afternoon I went and drove it and decide to buy it. The seller was fine with a check, plus it is Saturday night and my banks ATM's will not give out more than $300. Guy had some lumber on it, and wife had to round up the title, so while he unloaded it I came home to pick up my brother who drove 15 miles to go with me to get it. We are almost at the guys house when he call me and tells me his wife has decided not to take a check. Well I can understand that. I just wish they had talked all about this earlier and listed it as "cash only". Would have saved all of us a lot of time, plus I had planned to work on the rat rod after work. Guess that's my gripe for tonight :D

OK.. not put out anymore. :D Guy called me and took the car off C's L till I took him some cash today. Felt kind of bad for him. Kid's wife has health problems and he is trying to make a go at it on his own. I am sure he is on a "cash only" with that too. When you are struggling to make ends meet you just can't afford a bad check. Anyway bought the truck, paid $1000 and it is clean and runs great. One little problem though, it has a bearing noise at the front of the engine. Using the ol screwdriver to ear, I think it may be an alternator but it could be a water pump. Both work fine. Just wondering if I could spray the alternator with something just to see if it gets quite for a second or two. That would let me know it is the problem before I spend $150 on a new one. Thought about just some water. Any thoughts?

How difficult to remove the belt? Quite often you can hear or feel a bad bearing if it's getting grainy and going south when you give the pulley a spin.

don't know what motor you is look'n at, but ditto on loosen/remove belt, and see witch pulley (water or alt.) feels like it's grinding or catching. also good time to shake water pump pulley,
if you got play it ain't ok

or I could be way off and it could be lug nuts.:rolleyes:

How difficult to remove the belt? Quite often you can hear or feel a bad bearing if it's getting grainy and going south when you give the pulley a spin.

It's got the serpentine belt on it so it should not be that hard. I will give that a try tomorrow. Might could rig up something with the cordless drill and a rubber band to run it. :D May go ahead and just change out the water pump ($30 new)

Back