challenger or trans am ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

32chris

Banned
hey guys,
im looking for some help please, iv got some cash that i stashed away for a rainy day but as as this is england and it rains most of the time im gonna spend it !!!!

iv narrowed my cars down to two and im looking for opinions, advice etc on these........

1st off, a 1970 challenger..
DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

a bit of the sellers blurb....

"440 Ci engine bored 0.30 (now 445.62 CI) with 1970 440 CI Cylinder heads (78.5cc heads cleaned up and re surfaced) with SB 1875 - 19PM Hardened Valve Seats.

00548 Intake valves , 01156 Exhaust Valves. Camshaft spec 462 lift and 270 duration

Edelbrock 440 Performer 440 Ally intake manifold
Edelbrock 70 CFM carb
Tube Technologies TTI headers for E body

Hemi 4 speed Hevy Duty Transmssion (18 spline)

Dana 60 Rear end with sure grip diff and 3.54 gears

Power dic brakes front
oversize drums rear

The invoice for the dana reads

DTS D60 Custom Dana - $2085

Custom Dana 60 for E body 35 spline axels w/-4 1/2 BC 1/2 x 20 x 2" screw in wheel studs 3.54 gears w / power lock posi 7290 yoke ll new bearings & seals "

Originally a 383 RT Challenger

Here is some more detail about the car and the restoration- I must stress this is gleaned from the two huge files of paperwork that came with the car so it will need to be taken at face value - all work was done in the US around 2002 / 2004 - before the car became mine- I have no reason to doubt the validity of any of the following but would recommend any interested party to fully inspect the car to their own satisfaction

" The body was both acid dipped and sand blasted - . All fenders , quarter panels , doors , roof , hood and trunk lid were completely straight and never hit. The uni body was also very straight. The uni body was mounted on automotive "Spikettes" and a total rotisserie style restoration was completed. The floorbards were replaced as was the trunk floor and new heavy gauge steel lower rear quarter panels were welded into place.

The Challenger has the following upgraded equipment:
Power Windows (all four) with stock window switches, power steering , front power disc brakes , complete factory aircon system , ralley instrument panel with 8 grand tach , rear window defogger , deluxe seatbelts throughout , interior front hood release , interior rear trunk release , correct "one year only" 1970 locking centre console with key , pistol grip 4 speed shifter , heavy duty "Hemi 4 speed transmission with 18 spline shaft (not typical 22 splines) , heavy duty sure grip Dana rear end with 3:54 gear ratio, Goodyear rubber, 15 x 8 Chrysler rally wheels , dual chrome tipped RT exhaust , R upgraded flip top gas cap , correct space saver spare tyre with inflator air canistor , correct bumper jack , with correct hook , upgraded bumper guards for rear bumber.

Everything else on the entire car was either replaced with new or like new condition items.

The engine is 440 cubic inches bored 30 thou over. Aluminium Edelbrock intake manifold and matching edelbrock carb with auto choke. The engine has the correct 1970 cylinder heads with hardened valve guides. (unleaded)

The cam shaft is mild and very streetable - The engine compartment has an oversize radiator , correct oversize oil pan , large capacity multi bladed , clutch fan with surrounding fan shroud, expensive TTI sterling silver finish headers , large capacity battery , Mopar performance valve covers and air cleaner, all wiring was replaced with new , The Hemi transmission was completely overhauled

The complete front end was completely replaced with all new bushings , rubber , idler arms etc - and the complete Dana rear end is new.

As far as original specs regarding the Challenger - It is an original RT VIN JS23N0B105685. The original engine was a 383 which has been upgraded to the current 440 CI. The block is a 1968 RBB. The Hemi 4 speed transmission and the dana rear end are both correct for the 440 engine. The original exterior colour was the Go Mango Orange color with the orange brick interior. Following the acid dipping and sand blasting the Challenger was repainted in the highly desirable 1969 Rally Red.

The interior was completely changed to black using. The headliner was replaced as were all the interior trim pieces including the seat backs carpeting and rt mats.

The Challenger comes with two huge files which include every single receipt from the initial purchase of the Challenger to the final detail parts. These bills total in excess of $40 ,000

or a 1970 trans am....

70_pontiac_trans_am_ram_air_3__4-3.jpg

70_pontiac_trans_am_ram_air_3__4-2.jpg

RARE AND DESIRABLE 1970 PONTIAC TRANS AM 400 RA 111 4-SPEED.
BUILT AT VAN NUYS OUT OF A HANDFULL MADE WITH THE OPPTIONS ORDERED. THIS IS THE REAL DEAL # 22887 TRANS AM RA 111.

THIS CAR HAS THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE HISTORY FILE THAT I HAVE EVER HAD WITH ANY CAR WITH RECEIPTS TOTALING NEAR £100K FROM DAY ONE TILL PRESENT INC FULL RESTORATION.

ALL DOCUMENTED CORRECT BY PONTIAC HISTORIC SERVICES WITH ALL ORDER SHEETS ETC. SADLY THE ORIGINAL MOTOR WENT BANG LONG AGO AND IS NOW FITTED WITH DATE CORRECT "WX" CODE 455 STROKER @ 472CI WITH BEST OF EVERYTHING MAKING 600HP. ALL SPEC/RECEIPTS ON FILE.

EVEN WITH THE NONE MATCHING MOTOR THIS CAR IS CHEAP

THE SPEC ON THIS CAR IS HUGE, IT WOULD TAKE ME ALL NIGHT TO GO THROUGH IT AS IT IS A FOOT DEEP, SO PLEASE GIVE ME A CALL TO DISCUSS AS THIS WILL BE FARE EASIER. LAST OWNER FOR 25 YEARS AND VERY SELDOM USED.

THE CAR IS SUPERB AND I HAVE NOT SEEN BETTER, NOT ONLY RARE AND IMPORTANT BUT GREAT FUN AS SHE IS VERY, VERY, VERY QUICK!!!

both cars are (almost) the same price - £25,000, both look ace so anyone got any "real time" advice for me ??

thanks for your time guys

cheers
chris

Hummmmm

Wow... not real sure I could choose as they are both great cars. For me it would probably come down to how each car drove. The Trans Am would probably handle better but my buddy's T/A got horrible gas mileage as if either of these cars would get "good" mileage! :D Which way r u leaning?!

BoB

I don't know they are both very desirable cars and 2 of my favorite.

Since I already have a Challenger.
DSC_0009a.jpg

I'd probably go for the T/A. You really can't go wrong with either one.

Yeah, it boils down to which brand and car turns you on the most. Both are nice, but the Challenger gets my vote. No particular reason other than I simply like them.

Don

I like the Trans AM. I've had a few an liked em all. My dream would be a 70' wilth the opposite color combo, Lucurne Blue with White stripes. (Only 2 colors offered in T/A that year)

Both cars are very desireable & seem to be well documented. Even without the super desireable Hemi,,,,gotta go with the Challenger.

2 Words

Two words...Daisy Duke! The Challenge, hands down the better of the two. I've never really been a Dodge fan. But. if I had to pick, it would be the not so main stream Challenger.

My buddy has a '76 TA with a 455 bored to a 477 or something real close. He was told not to bring it back to the track until it meets safety standards. Read as, it hauls ass. A real screamer.

I still like the Challenger better. Something about the body lines that just makes me shiver a bit.

The Challenger gets my vote but it would be great too take bolth home i would buy the challenger then go to the bank and get a loan for the T/A and use the Challenger for coladerall

just think then you dont have to make up your mind :D

thanks for the input guys :)

i gotta be honest but im really struggling with this,
i love that challenger, its prob the cleanest one iv ever seen but theres the rub i think, iv seen loads but i cant recall ever seeing a 1970 t/a (other than a dog ruff one on ebay)
it has a little something else, not sure what but it seems real "special" for some reason,
im not too bothered about mpg (£1 @ ltr !!) as whichever one would be my w/end toy, also not really worried about the whole "investment" b/s that everyone over here seems fixated to, im more interested in how a good one drives,
iv had a few 70's camaros, a 69 f/back mustang, a 79 formula 400 f/bird so iv got a rough idea of what each will drive like (other than the 600hp bit :D)
theres a couple of others i need to look at before i fully decide (68 rs camaro - rare over here and a 72 cuda - also rare over here) but i think the t/a is gonna be the winner for me
heres the link for more piccys....

http://www.musclecartechnology.com/stock/70transam/1970transam.html#

heres the cuda.......

http://www.musclecartechnology.com/stock/72cudayellow031108/72cudayellow031108.html

i know this is a bit long winded guys but i really do appreciate your time and input, iv never been in this position before and its un-likely to happen again so im just trying to be cautious, looking for pros/ cons/ weaknesses/ strengths on each car and not just going diving into the 1st one i hear fire up :rolleyes:

thanks again all

:)

I always liked those years of Mopars, and the T/A is just not as tuff looking as the others. That said....

Have you driven the Challenger? Seems you have taken the T/A out....and liked it! If I wanted a trophy car to sit and look at, I'd get the Cuda. If I wanted to brag to others about my purchase, I'd get the fully documented Challenger. BUT IF I WANTED TO DRIVE, I'm betting that T/A would be my favorite.

Is it just between these 2 examples? Hard choice, if was a 'Cuda I would go mopar but the Challangers always looked like a 'Cuda's chubby sister to me. Still it's a nice car. The TA is pretty rare and will no doubt out handle the Mopar.
I vote for the TA, I was around when these cars were new and the Pontiac is a much better built automobile (sorry mopar fans) Back in the day it wasn't unusual to see a mopar being pretty used up with only 30,000 miles if it got rode hard.

Latest posts

Back