Chop Questions - Speak up Old Timers!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronFreak

I plan on starting my build this weekend, I have a 52' that I'm going to chop, channel and even section to some degree......horizontally and vertically. Metal and welding are nothing new to me, i don't feel normal unless in covered in metal dust......This is however my first chop. I know you going to say what I plan on doing is not for a beginner…… and I agree......but I'm still going to do it so let’s skip the pleasantries and don't try talking me out of it.;)

I had everything laid out in my mind on how I was going to do this, but I want some honest opinions from guys that have done a few. I was going to do a 5"-4" chop to rake the top, but split and stretch the lid. Then I read some threads that are saying that’s more work than just reliving and dropping the A pillars back. What do you guys think? I have been making up a ton of butt-welding clips to stretch it like this pic......
attachment-10.jpeg

Want the body to have a mean rake that leans forward, that’s why I was thinking of sectioning the cab as well. I don't like the proportions of the 52’ when they chop the tops, the doors look to tall, I was thinking of something like this.....its a 46 Chevy but you get the idea......
2882931400032092443S600x600Q85.jpeg

This is what I was think for my cab....pardon the crappy Photoshop work.......
imagejpeg_2_8.jpg

It’s not as raked as I want the top to be, but its sectioning about 5 inch out of the middle between the hinges so the door geometry doesn’t get screwed up.

This is now open for discussion guys...and gals, let me know your thoughts!!

Doesn't sound unreasonable. Somebody will probably even tell ya you're not chopping it enough ;) - that's how we are around here.

The lean back on the A-pillars is more of a looks thing. 'Competition style' I've heard it called - my guess to reduce drag on the salt flats. I'm guessing some guys think it's harder to split the roof because of the potential for heat warpage.

A lot of guys just cut off the bottom of the cab instead of sectioning - sometimes because it's easier than sectioning, sometimes because of rot. It gives a different look too.

No matter what, make sure you'll have enough room inside - it won't look cool unless it's driven .... a lot!

I've just been hesitant about lopping off the bottom, these trucks have that nice swooping roll, not sure if I want to have a straight stop like this......

100_5895.JPG

Maybe if I raked it up a little from back to front.....then I would probably have to do suicide doors. I like them but its already going to be low......I'm a big guy, I don;t need to make this any hard on myself haha. Dropping the pillars back might get me more of the look I want though, this thing is going to be low and wide. I like performance, and being is school I can't go buy a 20k sports car, so I'm going to make this drive like one!

Yeah.........I'm going to go out in the garage and stare at it now for a good couple hours while I finish making my butt-welding clips........[S

Latest posts

Back