Crown Vics ??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Misfit

I tell you... I get no respect!
I have a truck for a DD,but now I need a car. I need a 4-door and I dont like FWD cars.Im a Chevy guy but I see a lot of ex-cop cars for sale for a decent price. I just test drove a 2008 C/Vic and I like it.Im not going to get one with more than 75,000 miles. I know some have a lot of idle time on them also.What do you guys think about them?? I know how to do P+B work so painting is no problem.What do you think about the 4.6 ? thax

I owned a CV and loved it, but mine had the 5.0 in it. That 4.6 is a good motor from what my Sons tell me, both of them have them in their Mustangs.

You figure, after the cops are done with the CV a lot of taxi companies buy them up and run them for another zillion miles. They are pretty regularly maintained most times, so let your eyes and the condition of things in general be your guide.

They are one of the last, big, durable cars made in this country . Just be sure to scrub the back seat out REAL GOOD. Lots of scary people might have been temporary residents back there.:eek::eek::D

Don

4.6 is a good engine, I had one in my previous 99 pu, have one right now in the wife's 00 Expedition. Idle like a sewing machine, turn RPM's like a jet turbine. Our Expy knocks down 18 mpg all the time, and it's a big heavy boat. In a lighter Crown Vic, you might break 20-25 mpg. Only thing I know about as far as problems are the spark plugs, sometimes they strip the hole when they come out, the later, so called improved versions break off in the head. There are worlds of info on UTube and other places about this.

Don't tell any of my Chevy friends I said so, but they're really good dependable cars. I was a cop for 42 years and drove whatever we had...my favorite was the '94 thru '96 Caprice, but after Chevy stopped building the full size car we switched to Ford. We all hated them at first because we were used to the LT1 Chevy's, but after a while we began to appreciate their dependability and economy. Ugly, but really decent cars with only a few small problems.

My moms had a Mercury Marquis & that was a nice ride. After she passed... my brother drove it for many years... never a problem!

BoB

My neighbor has a crown vic.
He uses it, like a pickup..
Hauling everything with it. With a small trailer.
He checks his cows with it too.

I got this---2007 Mercury 97000 miles--super clean

Attachments

• Lawnmower 006.jpg
    Lawnmower 006.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Lawnmower 007.jpg
    Lawnmower 007.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Lawnmower 008.jpg
    Lawnmower 008.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Lawnmower 009.jpg
    Lawnmower 009.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 11
Sorry man...

I got this---2007 Mercury 97000 miles--super clean

I was awol when you asked about the crown vic's....They are good vehicles for a ford....lol...Ok on power with the 4.6...our new Explorers have the same horsepower with the V6 ...
that Mercury should work out fine...pretty much the same platform just doesn't have (I'm going to quote the blues brothers) Cop Motor, Cop Shocks and Cop suspension....for a daily driver you made a better choice...JMHO...

Latest posts

Back