Don't people build reliability anymore

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update on my '52 Chevy. I had the radiator rotted out so I could take her on a poker run. The wife and I left at 5:30 am, got on the freeway where she drove at 180 degrees and the oil pressure was 20 lbs, fine. Had breakfast with the guys at the orange cafe. After breakfast, we caravaned to Lake Forest on surface streets, 180 degrees. The poker run was through Trabuco Canyon, 180 degrees. After the Poker Run, hopped on the freeway running at 180 degrees until I stopped at the toll booth. Took off and the temp climbed to 210, yikes. The car ran at 210 degrees all the way home. I let the car sit in the driveway, idling and the temp slowly came down to 180.

Too bad, I really like driving the car. Enough was enough, I bought a brand new U.S. "Optima" radiator. 4 rows, triple pass, brass/copper. I also installed a new oil pump. I let the car sit in the driveway till she warmed up. Took her for a drive. Temp got up to 185 and stayed. Oil pressure was good at 50 psi. Check the timing, distributor was frozen and would not advance. The distributor was an old "Uni-lite". Stuck a stock distributor in and put a Pertronix conversion in it. Now the car runs at 140 degrees.........

I should have checked the timing before.......Oh well, I wanted to add A/C, now I feel comfortable doing it.

IMG_1601.jpg

Latest posts

Back