Ever used or tuned a dual point distributor?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
Back in the day my BIL had a real '69 Z-28 & ran a dual point Mallory dizzy, that car was wicked fast. That's where I learned to tune them! Easy... just divide the dwell by 2 & use a feeler gause! Even easier if you use a dwell meter! I had a lil Sun tune up kit with, dwell, timing light & vacuum gauge that I used... still have it & it still works after 40+ yrs!

BoB

I've got a Corvette dual point distributer in my Hupmobile roadster. I just set the point gap as usual.

Being a Mopar guy, I did lots of dual point Mopars back in the early 70s. As a mechanic at that time, I changed out enough sets of points in every brand of car to last me a lifetime. I could set the gap by eye and be dead on the dwell.

This guy was really happy to see the Mopar Electronic Ignition show up. I swapped every Mopar point distributor (single or dual points) I ran across over to the electronic Ignition.

Back in the day my BIL had a real '69 Z-28 & ran a dual point Mallory dizzy, that car was wicked fast. That's where I learned to tune them! Easy... just divide the dwell by 2 & use a feeler gause! Even easier if you use a dwell meter! I had a lil Sun tune up kit with, dwell, timing light & vacuum gauge that I used... still have it & it still works after 40+ yrs!

BoB
Ha, I still have mine too...probably been 40 years or more since I used it...
you never know though...😜

I don't think I ever did a dual but remember doing the single in my small block Duster with a feeler gauge. Remote momentary push button to get on the high, open side of the dist. I would think duals would be the same. Jim

Had a baby Hemi I sold recently, it had dual points & it was so easy to set! Thing ran like a champ! I had it for 10-15 yrs, it was really ratty & I got it running & painted it... sold immediately!

BoB

Attachments

• Hemi running.mov
    18.1 MB
Some of the Mopar dual point high performance distributors for V8 motors only had 4 lobs on the distributor shaft. Those were the easy ones to set!

I ran one in my 327 for a while. My 331 hemi I'm build for the wife's car is a dual point setup. Been a while since I have touched points hahaha

Latest posts

Back