Exhaust question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V8Square

On my project, sbc 350 into a tube chassis '69 VW Squareback. Being I am cramped for space, on my exhaust, how close tp my upper control arm can I put it without worrying about damaging the control arm bushings due to heat? I am running Mustang II front suspension with tubular control arms.

There is no magic dimension to keep hot headers away from stuff, a lot depends on how hot they get, how much air flows through the engine compartment, etc. For example, one of the header tubes on my Son's rpu is about an inch away from the steering box and it does heat it up, but it was the only place it would fit. He is thinking about making a steel plate as a shield over the box, and that is something you might consider too. As the guys mentioned, header wrap and ceramic coating drop the temps a lot too.

Don

Pics

Thanks for the info guys. You see, I am planning on possibly running cast iron exhaust manifolds off of a 1987-1992 Camaro/Firebird 5.0 Here are some pics.

Picture 032.jpg

Picture 031.jpg

Picture 030.jpg

Picture 029.jpg

Picture 028.jpg

IMO you would be safe with what you're showing, if your still
unsure, you could make a small heat shield that
connects to the manifold bolts!!

Latest posts

Back