Father/Sons '82 S-10 Roadster...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

low dawg

Well, as we all know most good ideas have to start somewhere...the boys and I were talking smack in the garage one day and I found a great idea in the bottom of a can!
High_Life_Vet.jpg

I needed to get to work finding a donor vehicle, low and behold I found a ratty S-10 pick-up at a local garage that the owner didnt want to put money into (repairs cost more than the truck was worth to him) HA HA HA, his loss, our gain!!!
s10046.jpg

Heres an illustration of what we did to the body to get it ready for recycling.
reds-10.jpg

Once we were down to the bare frame, and the body was recycled for a refill on liquid ideas (beer-HA HA HA) we needed to decide what to do to the frame...heres what we came up with.
s10frame1.jpg

We put the cab back onto the chassis, after several days of refabing the floor pans and cab mounts, and finished stripping the dash completely and reinforcing what remained of the cab. Installed the flat panel aluminium dash and guages.
1104.jpg

The motor was left in position and the front header panel removed (and recycled...after my brother bent me some custom aluminium channel we fabbed a new radiator core support and support rods.
1108.jpg

The stock front suspension was removed and the frame boxed in and mounts were fabbed for a '31 model A axle (bought on Craigs List) also welded in supports for coil-over shocks ('82 Goldwing). Waiting for $ to get ahold of the spindles and disc brake kit.
1108.jpg

We decided to keep things as cheap as possible and kept the V-6 (2.8L) and the auto tranny, and seeing as headers ain't readily available for many 2.8L Chevy applications we went with the stock manifolds and custom make our own exhaust side pipes with off the shelf 90* elbows and Thrush glass pack mufflers.
1111.jpg

Even though the front end is not complete I mocked up the position of the front wheel for a photo op...
hotrod.jpg

As of today the fuel tank was installed along with fuel lines, fired it up and she purrrrrrrrrssss like a kitten full of cream, sounds pretty cool too (for a V-6)
1105.jpg

More pics to come as the build progresses...look for additions to the thread...
KEEP ON BUILDIN THE DREAMS!!!

Last edited:
As aged iron only escaltes in price and becomes even more difficult to find , rods like this is bound to become popular .

Hot Rod ? Of course , using what you have to enjoy the Hot Rod lifestyle .

Good luck . I plan to watch your build hoping to get ideas for a future build of my own .

Gonzo

Great Idea

I am jealous.
You guys find S10`s easy.
Around here they want a fortune for them.
I am still looking for a longbed to use for frame swap.
I like your project.[;)
I would have never thought of doing something like that.[cl

Rex, Yeah, the S-10 is pretty easy to get around here but its the same as anywhere, most people think their stuff is made of gold. I picked this one up at a local service station (the owner didnt feel it was worth fixin, and dropped off the title). I think I stole it for $300!!!!

Latest posts

Back