Flathead ?'s

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistolpete

Looking for a little help here, found what appears to be an ok deal and thought I should ask a few questions before I run and have a look at this motor and trans. Basics, '46 59A w/ T5 trans, pedal assembly modified for the T5 and a Model A style e-brake with linkage. I havent talked to him yet, but from what I have read in the ad, it was an old rebuild 30 some years ago and was never ran. From the pictures it looks to be in decent shape, but pictures are pictures.

a/ What type of ballpark number would you think it's worth. I know most won't say a word because it's pretty subjective with the information I have on the engine thus far. Just a rought idea to run with, I don't think the asking is rediculous considering it is engine trans w/adapter, basically carb to pan, fan to trans.

b/ What should I look for when I go to look at it specifically, I want to have a head removed if not both. Any other common trouble areas I should look at?

Thanks, apprecaite any and all advice. I have it in my head I want to use a flathead, not 100% sure why, so if I should be convinced otherwise tell me why...

The main problem I'm aware of was cracking between the valve seats. Some blocks have small shallow cracks in that area that won't effect anything. It's the big deep ones that make it to the water jacket that are the problem. Even then, that can be repaired. Check with John Saunders at John Saunders Racing Ent. in Watford ON. He grew up around the Model T's and A's. His dad Ross, was an absolute wealth of information on this era of Ford's, and as I mentioned John grew up around, and worked in the business for his dad, eventually taking over when his dad passed away. Google the name, you'll get a phone number and likely all the info you'll require. Nice part of it all, is he's close to you, so you could always talk to him in person if you wanted.:)

I never trust it when someone says it's been rebuilt. I have bought some that weren't touched on the inside.
I would check all you can. Do a compression check. The rings may have lost their tension in 30 years. Also check the bearings if possible. And like Sniper says check the block for cracks.

If everything is good I'd offer $750 -$1000 for a good complete running engine and T5 tranny.

Last edited:
Check for mice in the valve banks and the crank case. Those little critters were everywhere in my old engine when I first opened, dead of course but still there.

If it was rebuilt 30 years ago it won't, most likely have hardened valve seats so take that into consideration when you make your offer.

I would also change out the main bearings, if it has been sitting that long they could have flat spots. And if it has never been run you will need to lube the cam and lobes.

If it were me I would give him what I thought it was worth as a core cause I would go back through the whole thing anyway.

never take someones word that its was overhauled! always check for your self. mine was also "overhauled" i pulled it apart and it had been overhauled a number of years ago but had a bad gouge in the #6 clylnder. Out to the the machine shop for a sleeve, hardened seats and a deck job. all else was O.K.

If it was rebuilt and never ran. I'd pull one of the heads to see, before I bought it. If it was never ran it should still be nice and clean inside. This will give you a good idea, if the owner is on the up and up, or telling you what you want to hear to make a sale.

I had a friend who built flatheads as part of his business, he even built the one Total Performance used in that pink T Bucket that was featured in so many magazines. He told me one time that he has to look at 10 flatheads to find one engine suitable for rebuilding. So many of them have been overheated and otherwise damaged that they are scrap metal.

Not saying that will be what you run into, just sayin' be careful.

Don

it has all been said before on here. Look before you leap. I never trust a "rebuilt" engine. Most up and up people will be willing to pop the pan off to check stuff out.

Ended up talking to him last night again, he has the heads on with just a couple bolts for quick removal when I get there, and I asked for the pan to be removed at the same time. So we'll see, my schedule for the next few days is pretty full so may have to wait till next weekend to go have a look at it.

Latest posts

Back