Front end advice for a '27

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anothersteveg

Hi All. I'm just getting started on a '27 T coupe build. I've got lots of bodywork to go, but am looking at the next step. I'm going to build my own frame, will Z it in the back and probably the front to keep it pretty low. I'd like to use a suicide front and have several detailed plans.

I'm looking for advice on what parts are easy to use for this? I have some pretty specific ideas and even some plans, but would like to tap the brain trust here to see if I'm missing any good ideas. I've got lots of experience, but have never put anything like this together before.

My criteria:

1. Budget. It's an inexpensive build, not meant to be a show car. I'm in this as much for the experience and learning process as anything.

2. Originality. I'm not necessarily going for a period specific look, but would prefer not to order off the shelf components. I don't mind scrounging and using odd combinations, it's a mixed bag of parts as it is.

3. Disc. I'd really like to have, or at least be able to easily add disc brakes.

4. Ease of finding. Ideally the parts will be easy to find.

I'm in the KC area and would appreciate your thoughts and ideas. If anyone nearby has parts that will work, I'm in the market too, let me know what you have.

Thanks!

Steve

the front axle i would try to go with a 36 to 40 ford and add the disc brakes. later fords, chevy, and dodge trucks and vans had good axles and there are disc kits for them too. there are alot of new axles out there and a lot of people having problems with them breaking and such. i don't know much about the others but i bet some of the fellas can tell you. best of luck

i guess i should have put ford in there.

Last edited:
i used a 64 f-100 front end
drums all around
leaf from speedway
exhaust049-2.jpg

speedo016.jpg

speedo018.jpg

speedo017.jpg

speedo016.jpg

speedo014.jpg

That's great guys, thank you!

I'm glad you posted that Billy as one of my ideas is a '59 F100 front end. He may have sold it by now though. I also have a line on a early 40's Chevy truck front end. I've got some time though before I need it, just trying to get some ideas.

Anyone else?

Thanks!

Steve

Latest posts

Back