GM pitman arms

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

I'm using a 84-85 Pontiac Firebird power steering box with a S 10 pitman arm, it was the same as the Firebird arm. It is the same length as the original Lincoln arm, 6" between the holes. I need one that is about 7" between the holes, with about a 1-2" drop. I have found a few aftermarket replacements, but they are all flat and I don't have any way to bend them. My searches haven't turned up much info other than what they fit, can't find the hole spread measurement. I was told a 1999 up Jeep Grand Cherokee would probably fit, but I don't want to buy one not knowing for sure the spread. What I'm trying to do is get a bit tighter steering radius, as is, it's driveable, but it won't turn as sharp as it needs to. I think a longer pitman arm should give me more wheel travel. This is cross steering.

Anybody got any hole spread measurements on GM pitman arms, and what they fit? I have to have one that has the hole for the tie rod end, not one with the tie rod end built in.

You may have already found this out but, the z28 Camaro pitman arms are 6 7/8" long center of hole to center of hole.
They are cast steel, can be heated and bent if necessary.
I've used these on all the race cars I've built.

Last edited:
No, I haven’t had much luck finding the measurements. What years did they come on? Are they already a dropped arm? I don’t have a way to heat and bend one...

They start with the 1970 Camaro Z28 power steering
They have an angle to them of about 1"
The eyes are angled and the arm is straight.
I think the part number is GM 3964881B
They look like they would hit the crossmember but, they won't.

I think I've got a dropped pitman arm in my pile but I don't know the measurements until I find it.:rolleyes:

Thanks OldIron! That sounds like it might work. Mine is shaped that same way, it has to drop that little bit to clear my motor mounts. I’ll check around and see if I can come up with some measurements.

If you run across that one small foot, measure it and let me know if you want to get rid of it.

I looked on ebay at that z28 arm, every pic I saw it was pretty flat. Too flat. I was told a 99 up Jeep Grand Cherokee might work, it has the right shape, but I don't know about the length. Need to find one and get a measurement.

Latest posts

Back