Hello from Prospect Park, PA

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyGrouch

Hello Hot Rodders. My name is Morgan. I'm a graphic designer who loves hot rods. I was born in Alabama, grew up in Tennessee and Georgia. I now live in Prospect Park, PA, which is outside of Philadelphia. As a kid and until now I have been, in some way, involved with hot rods. Most of hot rods have been muscle cars from the 60's. ( When I was 15 I bought a 67 Camaro and spend the rest of my high school time restoring it) the main reason for the muscle cars is because they were the cars my dad always had at his shop in Atlanta.

Now, however, I am really loving the old school rods. I know a huge amount about motors and muscle cars but not as much as I would like about the "Original" hot rods. So here I am, and I want to learn and talk about them.

A while back I decided to combine what I do for a living with what I have a passion for. In the beginning I took a real slow approach because I was not exactly sure about the combination. Finally I came with the idea to do personal logos for hot rodders and their own cars. I created Yep!...Hot Rods and Logos. the website can be found here. www.hotrodlogos.com. The cool thing is that I did not want it to just be a site that offers designs. I wanted it to be a site that people can come to and learn about hot rods, see hot rods, and talk about hot rods. My dad even got on board. I told him, "Dad you have over 40 years of knowledge in your head. We need to get it out for people so they can learn continue on with what you have spent a life time being involved with." He agreed, and we just started going. We now have over 50 posted article on all kinds of subjects from motors, to suspensions, to anything you can think of about hot rods. It's exactly the way I want it. We have many more to come. It's cold up here in Philly, and that means I am getting ready as fast as I can for the new season. I want to get out there and talk to people. I want to see their rides and talk to them about them. Then I want to make out site that much richer with content.

As I pour through this forum and look to have some really great conversations with some people who I know have a great passion for the same things I do, I invite you to visit our site. Please sign up and make comments. Please put your 2 cents or more if you would like. It's a people site. It's a hot rodder's site...One that we can all be proud of.

By the way..the name of the site is Yep!...Hot Rods and Logos. the proper way to say the name is as if you are answering a question....Yep!...Hot Rods and Logos....and please feel free to add a southern twang to it if you would like.

Take care
Morgan aka- HappyGrouch

Last edited:
I've been to Prospect Park. Not exactly the an outstanding neighborhood when I was there. I kept reaching in to my inside jacket pocket, if you know what I mean.

When were you here?...It's a Philadelphia blue collar kinda place...full of all the **** and ginger you can stand...Funny thing about the area is lots of these guys work for Boeing right around the corner making the Chinook Helicopters or they work for the oil refineries....which means they know how to build and fix things....and they have nice little rides tucked away in little garages. You would never know it from a drive by. You have to be here for a while and take it all in...lots of character....oh...and the guy Vince Papale grew up right around the corner from me....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_Papale from that movie Invincible There were a couple nice Nova's in that movie...

:)

I admit, it's been about 12 or 15 years. [S The older I get, the harder it is to remember. I was only there to visit a friend, so I didn't stay long. I just remember I was happy to leave at the time. Good to hear it's a decent place.

@ earthquake68 - When you are from the South like me, it takes some time to get used to how things are in the North. Especially all the brick buildings and row homes. You grow up thinking one thing then learn something different down the road.

At one time I thought the only place on earth where hot rods could be found were in the south and on the west coast. Boy was I wrong. While in the NAVY up here I met a guy who was orgionally from Alabama like myself. He had a 79 Camaro that had a SM BLK 406 (30 over 400) ... Believe it or not it had old double hump fuelie heads on it. He had someone to drill the steam holes. We became friends and we also started to get an itch to go street racing. I had a 78 Impala with an inemic 350 in it that my dad and i put together with spare parts while I was home on leave. We used it as a parts runner...per-se... At first we would just cruise around in the city of Philadelphia ...but nothing was out there...then one night someone told us where we needed to go. As it turns out, on the south of the city is where all the junk yards are located, and as you can guess that is where all the hot rodders hung out. The next thing you know we were in battles ever Friday night. My buddy still has the Alabama tag on the Camaro so we were always the butt of some jokes until we took them out. In fact we blew the 406 up one night and we had to rebuild it while living in the NAVY barracks. We would lock it up during the day in our cloths locker and work on it at night. We always had several buddies over helping...

One a night when we new a certain guard was on duty, we rolled the motor out and hauled it to a storage garage that we had set up for the pull/install...Soon we were back out racing again...And, let me tell you...those Philly guys were SERIOUS about their rides. Most of the were Mopars...not very many Fords or Chevy's. Eventually the races were shut down. The police would come and open up the fire hydrants and flood the streets...

Nothing but good times!...

Welcome Happy Grouch. This is one great site..I live right around the corner almost. I live in Philly during the week and home to little ol Delaware on the weekends. [cl...Not a nice thing to say about someone's home turf Earthquake!....CR:D

Oh, I know all about Front Street and Sunrise Ave. Been there done that! Back when JFK stadium was still there. That's the parking lot where we'd all meet. I had a friend with a 427, '71 Chevelle. There was another guy that towed his '67 Nova named "Casper" (white full on drag car) with his big block four speed '70 El Camino. I also watched a guy on a motorcycle get cut in half by a '69 Camaro. It took seven sheets to cover him up. There's a reason the cops shut it down. Anyway, I was born up in Pa. North west of the city near Willow Grove. I was 12 when I built my first real hotrod with my Dad. It was a '71 Mustang with a 351 Cleveland. I did most of the work to tear down and clean the parts. Dad showed me how to set up the valve timing and the ignition timing. I also drove that car when I was 12, too. I was pretty good for a 12 year old.

Anyway, I've been all over. Florida, Tennessee, Louisiana, and now Missouri. I drove a truck over the road for 8 years, so I've seen a good bit of the country, too.

When I was 15, the doctor said I wouldn't live to grow old. So I decided to live life the way I wanted to. The only thing you can take with you are the stories. I have a pretty big collection of those, too. :)

@CR55, Then you pass my way going home on the weekends. What part of DE? My wife works in Wilimington and I work in Philly.
We like to go to Chesepeak City several times a year do you hang out near there? We have also be considering moving down to the area.

@earthquake68...you know it pretty good. When they built the new Eagles stadium they cracked down on the racing on Front street, the eveyone move down to the Junk yard areas....well they always flipped back and forth...

Love to hear more stories!...

@CR55, Then you pass my way going home on the weekends. What part of DE? My wife works in Wilimington and I work in Philly.
We like to go to Chesepeak City several times a year do you hang out near there? We have also be considering moving down to the area.

The cultural center of the earth.....Dover![clstay where you are!:D:DCR

Latest posts

Back