Hello from the TX Gulf coast...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys my name is Travis and I'm building a rat of sorts almost entirely from scratch on as little a budget as humanly possible. LOL No actually I started building this car back in 1999 while attending Metropolitan State College of Denver for Industrial Design. I had a department director and professor who was a big hotrod guy from way back walk me through the chassis design and building of a jig table for my senior experience class I needed to graduate. The frame is made from tapered and Z'd 2x4 steel tubing with quarter elliptical springs front and rear. I'm using a 41 Chevy truck front beam axle I found in an old abandoned junk yard just south of Denver. The rear axle is a Chevy 10 bolt from a late 80's Camaro also found in the junk yard. I got that far and then the project was shelved for 10 years.

Fast forward to today and the project has become a priority once again. All along I wanted to build a 29-30'ish Ford, either a roadster or sedan. I've played with the idea of a hand formed alloy body as well as finding an older original Model A body and grafting it on.

I've decided to do something just a bit different. I'm building the body entirely from Marine grade mahogany plywood and board stock. It will be a 30'ish roadster pickup with a 12 inch extended cab. (I'm 6'3" and feel a little cramped in a regular cab) The body will have a 1x1 steel sub-frame that will be hidden within the 1/4" wood skins. I want to use bronze fasteners at all the wood joints and emphasize the fasteners like rivets on an old airplane. Once finished the car will get multiple coats of auto grade clear to bring out the beauty of the wood with some pin-striping to accent the lines of the car.

The power plant I'm using will be a 300 Inline six from a late 80's Ford F250, but with 3 Stromberg 48's and a pair of handmade 3to1 lake style header pipes. Tranny is a C6 with a 3.42 rear ratio. The motor will make about 300HP and 400 foot-pounds of torque when finished and I'm looking for a finished car weight of around 1500-lbs. Great power/weight ratio but the torque with twist the tires at will. LOL.

As of today the chassis is in a rough assembly with the engine/trans sitting on blocks to complete the layout of all the things I still need to weld to the frame. I still need a handful of parts to make her a roller but she is coming along nicely. All total so far I have about $900 invested. I figure another $200 or so for steel and wood to build the body and another $1000 to finish the chassis. That's still a hell of a custom for under $3K when finished.

Also I need a set of bone stock 15x6 or 15x7 wheels for a Chevy 5-4.75 bolt pattern. The crustier the better since I'll just blast them and powder coat when the project is finished. Tires are going to be a big ticket item as the ones I want are the old school bias ply Firestones from Coker.

Anyway as soon as I get to a point where its presentable I'll start a build thread. Talk more then. Later Travis

Welcome to RRR Travis , i like working with wood , built a couple of small boats , only problem if it is too short can't weld it back on .....LOL :)

worthless_thread_without_pics.gif
........:D Welcome to RRR! Sounds like a really cool build. I used to see this Model A PU at local shows pretty often and as a carpenter/car nut I never got tired of looking at it :)

ModelAPUwithawesomewoodworkLarge.jpg

Can't wait to see how yours turns out, I'll watching....[P[P[P

Welcome from another Gulf Coaster to the North. Start a build thread and post some pictures for those of us that "kan't reed gud!" LOL

Welcome Travis

Welcome to the site and sounds like you've got some great stuff there.... post those pic's.....[cl

Alright so here is a few just give you an idea of where I'm at.

14e057q.jpg

21map9j.jpg

bdb9k.jpg

29vl00i.jpg

wsnwg6.jpg

Right now everything is a bit rusty but its only surface stuff and will come off with a quick blast. I'm planning on making a cheap plywood test body to fully visualize the end result over the next few weeks. Once I get that form in my head I'll make the steel sub-frame and begin with the final patterns and molds for the curved side panels.

The plan is to vacuum form and epoxy two 1/8" hardwood plywood layers with a 10oz S-glass layer between them to add some strength. Its not much of a curve but its enough that if the panels are not preformed it may cause issues down the road. The plywood "body panels" will be joined with bronze hardware to look like rivets on an old airplane. The top edge will be a solid mahogany "cap" enclosing the inside and outside panels and the steel interior structure. Everything will get encased in UV stabilized epoxy and then several layers of automotive clear. The grill shell will be hammered 3003 alloy with curly maple spokes. I want to make a hood ornament but I'm still playing with ideas. It will most likely be hand carved wood and hammered alloy but I won't know how it will turn out till its done.

I'll start a build thread in a week or so. Anyway thanks for the welcome to the club, talk soon Travis

Latest posts

Back