Howdy from SW VA

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaJoker

Well folks, stumbled upon this site from reading over on KB. Seems lots of folks have :) Rather new to "rats" I guess, but then again, not really. I believe in driving old steel, not putting them in some museum or on a trailer. Bought my first "classic" in 1991 and ended up having to sell it two years later to pay for college. Twas a 67 Dodge Polara, 318 auto, all white boat with black interior. Did the car show thing for a while, though my beast wasn't quite show quality. At 17 years old, I had a very limited budget after all. Bad part was, two weeks after I sold it, the son of the guy I sold it two totalled it while drunk. Such is life I guess.

polara.jpg

For quite a few years now I've had to just admire from a distance as life just got in the way every time I wanted to get back into the car scene. Of course, the real hindrance is I've always been limited in the work I could do due to lack of skill, tools and garage. After getting into Harleys though, I found real quick you learn to either do it yourself or get soaked by the "experts". I still can't tear apart an engine and do anything with it, but when it comes to basics like replacing brake components, lines, filters, etc, I'm getting better. I can't weld worth a damn, but learned when I was a kid working for my grandads concrete business. You soon learn when working on old cement trucks, stuck together is better than falling apart, and it doesn't matter how crappy the welds look as long as it holds. So, it's come full circle. After purchasing a 1950 Harley WL a couple years ago for a steal, and putting a bit of work into it, I figured it was time to upgrade and get back to cars. Just recently picked up a 1950 Chevy Panel/Canopy Express for a song. The only reason that I jumped on it though is that the price was right, and it is in driveable condition. This I found REALLY helps when you have no clue what you are doing and makes it quite a bit easier to work on over long periods of time. The other thing that helps is that I have a disabled vet down the street that works on cars for the cost of parts that's willing to help/teach whenever I need something done.

So, there's the story, maybe a bit of a long one :) I'm a computer programmer by trade, so I know diddly about cars since I just didn't have that mentoring growing up from my dad. He was more of the kind to just do it, and get out of his way so he could get it done. Don't blame him though, with 5 kids to provide for, time is limited after all.

Anyway, here's my new panel (still waiting on title), so this is basically only pic I have it for now.

before.jpg

Welcome!!!

Joker,
Welcome & make u're self @ home... thanks for stoppin' in. Great bunch of guys here that's for sure! Love u're panel... what's that behind it? Also, I love old Harleys & hope to see pictures of that too!

Howdy from Houston,
BoB

The guy I bought the panel from told me what it was, but it's slipping my mind now. So honestly, I haven't a clue. As for the old Harley, here's a shot:

wl-resized.gif

Quite a few more pics available at the link in my sig. Warning: LARGE pictures.

And here's part of what made me jump on the old panel. I have always loved them, and never could afford to get one that was "show worthy" or what I would think of as completely dependable. So when Chevy introduced the HHR, I was in love of course. So much so, that I actually got one. It's been modified to a degree with things that I felt comfortable with, like wheels, exhaust, intake, a splash of paint here and there, but still, it didn't really give me the same feeling as owning the real deal. So while I have my daily driver in the HHR, I can better afford downtime to work on the old tin.

DSCF0005.jpg

Gorgeous!!!

Joker,
I like u're HHR... nice paint work! I absolutely love that Harley... that is really gorgeous & a sweet lookin' ride! U r a lucky dog!!!

BoB

Welcome to RRR Joker. Man that is one cool scooter. You should head over and post up some pics of that thing in the bikes section so everyone sees it. I like your other rides too. I didn't look into your links yet, but I will.

Thanks guys. Will try to post a pic or two over in the bikes section. Like I said, just wished I'd picked up a bit more mechanical skill from my dad as that would make things a whole crapload easier.

Did pick up some woodworking skill from my other grandad who was a master carpenter for 52 years though.

My Harley bar in my basement recroom:

Harley-Bar2-006-resized.gif

DSCF0050.JPG

DSCF0052.JPG

DSCF0053.JPG

HEY
PARTY AT JOKERS HOUSE...

I kiddin with ya.
That is some very nice woodworking skills you got there. That lil bar looks cool as "Awe Hailz"...

Yeah, I couldn't really beat the price as a project vehicle. It has a 4 speed tranny with granny that shifts smooth, suspension and frame are in excellent shape, the 216 starts and runs like new. The guy selling recently serviced the brakes so it stops great and converted it to 12 volt. It only has two places of rust through, one at the rear fender just under the gas filler neck, and one spot in the rear lower door frame. The rest of the body is damn near perfect, including floor pans and wooden floor in the rear. So, for a runner that I can slowly work on, and only for 3 grand, I couldn't really pass up the deal.

I'm shooting for having it the way I want it in a couple weeks so it's ready for hte Star City Motor Madness event here in Roanoke. I'm going to try to get the holes filled with metal, the whole thing sanded down, primed, and then it will be sprayed with chalkboard paint. The idea is that most of the vehicles at this show I know will be plastered with "Do Not Touch" signs. It seems all shows seem to be like this. However, how the hell are you supposed to get kids and other folks fired up about classics if you can't get close enough to touch the damn things. So, not only will everyone be able to touch my truck, but they'll be able to draw on it with chalk as well. Should be a bit hit with getting kids interested in old vehicles, and honestly, I just want to see some of these older guys freaking out with a vehicle parked next to their "baby" that people are randomly drawing all over. :)

Joker,
With your line of thinking, I believe you will fit in good around here.(I never would have thought of chalk board paint) That is just a cool idea...

I figure the popular thing in the "rat" community is to do the whole flat black thing, or just leave the vehicle with it's natural patina. So what better way to get something interesting without doing something everyone else is doing, and yet, have the same look. And besides that, I can change the graphics any time I get bored by just chalking out something new. And if it rains and it washes off, bonus, I have motivation to get it all decorated up again. I like thinking outside the box a bit. Both my wife and I have degrees in Fine Arts, and you don't get to use that much in my profession of computer programming. What better way to express your personality and skills though than through your vehicles though. :)

Chalk flames!

And besides that, I can change the graphics any time I get bored by just chalking out something new. And if it rains and it washes off, bonus, I have motivation to get it all decorated up again.

Joker,
I paint flames on my car with chalk sometimes... that's fun! Take the water hose... all fresh again!

BoB

that will be sweet joker, it's great to get people interested in cars and i don't know how anyone could be if everytime they get close to one some snooty jerk is pushing them away. Don't get me wrong though, if i had a $100,000 car i would probably have a do not touch sign up too. :p

Yeah, I wasn't sure what my wife would think of it, considering she really wasn't too keen on my getting the panel in the first place. She's warmed up to the idea after she saw the first pics of the car though. She thoughted a panel meant a bread truck or delivery van. And when I mentioned the chalkboard paint idea, she was all for it. Just lucky I have a wife that let's me have toys I guess. :)

Ok, now you ARE a lucky man. My wife makes pennies compared to me, but she enjoys the hell out of what she does, so who am I to complain? She runs her store online, and vends out of our local historic downtown farmers market. http://www.soapdelicatessen.com And yes, my house smells all the time.

Latest posts

Back