I guess i just bought a new project...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krooser

I've been looking for a coupe body to put on a '33 Ford frame that I bought a few years ago in Indiana.

So now I'm the proud owner of a '34 Chevy 3 window (from ND)... and I also bought a '54 Caddy 331 with a Hydramatic (from NC)... this is a long term project but it's good to know I have the basics in hand (or WILL have once I get the stuff here).

I'll have a 1600 round trip to get the Caddy... and a 900 mile trip to get the body... plus the 1000 miles I already put on to get the frame... I guess I never ever post on a for sale ad... "Gee I'd buy it if was closer!".

Attachments

• IMG_2478.jpg
    IMG_2478.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2491.jpg
    IMG_2491.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Caddie Motor  4.JPG
    Caddie Motor 4.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 81
where u find that body craigslist or ebay?
Found it on the HAMB.

I actually contacted the owner about it months ago but it was sold... the buyer backed out after 8 months of not picking it up. So I was next in line.

Hey Skull... I really wanted a 5 window and really considered your car but this one is closer but certainly NOT as straight as yours. I guess I can refine by body work skills now!

The other consideration I made was the cost...I'm actually trying to buy another old Stovebolt right now... I need the $$$ for the other car but this one was priced right so MAYBE I can have both... so that means I'll have FOUR non-running projects to deal with...when will it end?[ddd

never

never can have to many projects, l got 7 and l cut down from 9[;)

body work[S l thought you were puttin' a rat together:confused:

Later :cool:

Good find man [dr.....have fun building it...but please tell me you didn't travel all that way with that little wheel trailer.....:eek:
My machine shop had those hubs and spindles to repair all the time.....the problem is people would run 65-75 MPH with them and because they have to turn much faster than a 15"-!6' wheel they overheat and fail.....most the time a guy would come off the highway and back the trailer into the lake to launch his boat and quench them.....anyway good luck on your build.....Doug

That trailer belongs to the PO.... the pix was shot at his place where the body still resides... for now.

I want to build a 40's style car... I have a '33 Ford rolling chassis with a '32 heavy axle on it...former lumber wagon from Indiana. Needs some work to get it right but the frame is pretty solid. Never laid in the mud.

I bought a '54 caddy 331 with a hydramatic and that's what the engine plan is for now. Maybe a '55-'57 Chevy rear or an early Olds/Pontiac.

The top is rough above the windshield area as is the top of the cowl. I can repair that after the body is firmly mounted to the frame and after most of the wood is replaced or reinforced with tubing... but before I dig too far into this deal I have my '56 F100 and '52 Catalina to get on the road.

Nice project. That sounds like a cool combination. Transverse sprung Ford chassis with a Chevy body and early Cadi engine...I like it.

I found a very nice hood for this body at the Iola Old Car Show swap this weekend as well as a deck lid.

I was cruising the swap Friday night (4420 spaces) and went by my buddy Wayne's spot just to say HI!. I yelled out asking if he had any '34 Chevy deck lids..he said "NO!"... but the guy next to him said he had TWO!

So I bought the roughest of the two (he wanted $600.00 for the better one (ouch!) which really wasn't much nicer than the one I bought)....

Then Saturday I walked by a guy with a lot of old tin and asked about a hood.... he had one from his uncle's restored '34 that was being made into a street rod. Bought that and it's perfect... I didn't need any sides so I didn't buy any.

Nice scores, Krooser. And my friends said there wasn't much there this year. I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

Latest posts

Back