I learned something about the fuel altereds-

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddog

Here he comes to save the day!
My wife and I went to the Peterson Auto museum yesterday. We go a couple times a year because its close and they change the displays every so often. They were featuring low riders and micro cars. They had some really small single and two seaters that I had never seen before. No Topolinos though.

Then we hit the gift shop before leaving. I bought a book on the Fuel Altereds of the 60's. I was quite amazed at how many Topolinos there were back then. It was one of the main bodies of choice.

Anyway, I didnt know much of the history of the sport till I spent some time reading this book last night.

There was an attempted ban on fuel ( alchol, nitro, etc) burning cars in the late 50's. (They werent called Fuel Altereds at that point.) That didnt stop some of the guys and the crowd loved the tire smoking squirlly little cars. By the early 60's they were gaining in popularity and the sanctioning bodies and tracks gave into advertising pressure and made a class for them. Fuel Altered. They were very popular.

Apearently, they went really fast and not allways down the track. They were short and rather unpredictable.:eek: By the end of the 60's they were doing 200mph in the quarter. Slightly slower than the rails. In the early 70's the frame and tire technology had increased and they were on thier way out.

I sure wished I had seen them in the 60's but I was into dirt circle track and only occasionally went to the drags.

Thats what I learned yesterday.:D

The pics dont match the thread but I know you guys love pictures, so here is some of what I saw at the peterson yesterday.

Attachments

• Renes birthday 008 (Medium).jpg
    Renes birthday 008 (Medium).jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Renes birthday 012 (Medium).jpg
    Renes birthday 012 (Medium).jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Renes birthday 014 (Medium).jpg
    Renes birthday 014 (Medium).jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Renes birthday 019 (Medium).jpg
    Renes birthday 019 (Medium).jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Renes birthday 016 (Medium).jpg
    Renes birthday 016 (Medium).jpg
    67 KB · Views: 17
The guys who piloted those cars were just NUTS!! :D:D If you look at some of the old picture of Nanook or the Winged Express, altereds were just plain scarey. Anytime you combine light weight, short wheelbase and tons of HP it is a recipe for fun.

If you look at some of the pictures of Willy Borsch driving his car with one hand you think he is just cool.......huh uh, he was actually hanging on for dear life with the left hand.

Don

Last edited:
If you never got to see them and you like the book, you've got to get the Jackson Brothers DVD's. Bad Boy Altereds 1 is the old stuff and some truly amazing footage. Bad Boy Altereds 2 is more about the late model and transformer fuel altereds. I believe this was made in the 80's. Unbelievble stuff and some awesome audio on #2. I can heartily recommend any of the Jackson brothers videos. Here's a link for you: http://nostalgiadrags.com/index.html The Gasser files 1&2 are also must haves. Enjoy, Mike

If you like the fuel altereds, check out this website Maddog. It's one of my regular stops.

http://www.mysterion.net/AAFA/
Thanks Bill, I'd almost forgotten Sorensons site. What a fantastic collection of pics. Some were donated by yours truly. I took some at Indy in 1969 and in 1971. I was lucky enough to meet both Leon Fitzgerald (Pure Heaven) and Willie Borsch when they were back east on tour. A friend put them up for about a week and we showed them around and took them to some machine shops so they could repairs parts during the week. They were a ton of fun and Willie was hysterical. Slept on my buddies pool table!:D When we went to the west coast to pick up a top fuel car, Leon had us stay at his house. I'll never forget those days. Mike

Great story HRM. My dad was at Indy also during that same time period. I've got a few pics that he took there. If I ever get a scanner up and going, I'll post em.

Latest posts

Back