I need a carb to replace an EFI

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakota

Rides a rusted horse
I just got a 87 T-Bird with a 3.8 V6. It looks like someone robbed it of all the EFI stuff, and cut off the connectors leaving blank wires. Even the ECU is gone. Is there a 2BBl carb that will fit that intake? I'm going to have to modify the distributor with a module from an HEI. Unless the distributor will stand on it's own without the ECU. Any ideas?

I replaced a throttle body EFI with a Holly 2bbl on an 85 5.0 a while back. It was a bolt on after a spacer to block off the EGR..

Check e-bay for a stand alone dizzy--I got a new one (Pro Comp) for the 5.0 for $50 shipped! If all else fails look into Megasquirt to build a new EI--Done that also--great gadjet--juts a lot of learnin..

If the V6 has a big 2 piece phlenum like the V8s, you could use the base to build an intake by bolting on a log/adapter..

Let us know what you come up with--info is king..

PA41

if i'm not mistaken ford did produce that motor with a carb--just a few years in early 80's i think-that would be the direction i would go, find a junkyard motor & get the intake, carb, and dist.--that's my 2 cents

Don't mean to hijack but did u assemble a Megasquirt & what was that like?

Beercan

Yo BC--I think its pertinent to the thread as it's an option to get the V6 back running. I did the MS thing 2-3 years back. A real good experience. It was originally a teaching tool for VoTecs I believe, and I really learned a bunch--Not a bit afraid of EFI now :).. I was really just trying to get a programmable EFI computer on the cheep ($140 for the DIY kit) There's alot of kinda unnecessary learning in it--I didn't really need to know the 'why', I just wanted the 'how', but since its a teaching tool, they 'teach..'

It breaks it down to the simplest steps, and walks you through it.. Maybe 20 hours of study--and $300 when I was done. I ain't stupid, but I'm no computer whiz by any means, and It wasn't all that big for me to do, so most fellas should be able to do it. They got lots of support too--Forums etc..

I'd sure recommend it to any serious car guy--EFI has been out 20 years, and its time we all understood it.

PA41

Yeah, I was looking at the 2150. If it's the same carb that's on a 76 Mustang V8 it's a different mount. I'll have to elongate the mounting holes on the base. They may have tapped the mounting studs different on an 87 V6 intake.

Guys...forget the carb, I found something better...a buyer. A friend blew the engine on his 86 T-bird, and he wants to buy mine.

Thanks for the help anyways...now I can go back to my rat rods.

Back