Insurance

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YBeNormal

Ok I am not real sure how insurance works but I am really getting floored by mine right now. Maybe someone can shed some light on it for me.

Sorry this is long.

So a couple weeks ago. The 23rd to be exact I was pulling out of our back farm entrance in my truck as I was coming up to the gate a small quad went by with a woman on it (not legal but not unusual) so I pullout of the gate turning right look down the road and see a small truck but I have plenty of room so I continue to go. Well lo and behold here comes a kid out of the woods next to the road on a dirt bike wide open. I crank the wheels hard right and lock up the brakes and stop and watch him slide track on track into the left front corner of my truck.

Now I have one of those big steel winch bumpers on my truck so when he hit he stopped and just fell over. I get out and pick the bike up off of him and try to see if he is ok and he is acting like I hit him on purpose. The truck that was coming saw the whole thing and pulls up and calls 911 so they all show up and the woman on the quad comes back and it is the kids mom. He is telling her I tried to run him over blah blah and she is telling him shutup he did not.

Well the kid shattered his knee and left in an ambulance. His mom told me to let her know whatever it costs to fix my truck. I told her don't worry about it it is nothing I can't fix my self take care of her son.

Well FHP shows up and finds me not at fault and calls it a night

Now me being the cautious type goes home and calls my insurance company and tells them I am not claiming any damage but I want to give them a heads up if the kids family tries to sue or anything (since that's the way the world is now). They say ok thanks and I think it's all over.

Since then my insurance has been harassing me I had to go to the scene and stage for pictures and they are interviewing people and trying to see what the klds family wants to do and including going to their residence today to sitdown with the family to see what happened.

So this is where I'm lost. These people have made no effort to claim anything against me but my insurance company seems hell bent on giving them something. They are telling me they are calling them sending them letters and Now going to their house.

We have the police report that's states I am not at fault and a witness that says the same so what is my insurance company doing?????[S

My guess is that want to give the family a small amount and settle so that the family can't come after them later on down the road.

It's cheaper to pay them a little now then to defend them selfs in court later on.

Here in Texas the ins co has to get your permission to make a payout! My buddy went through that with Geico. He refused to let them pay this scammer & they didn't. 21Willis is probably correct theough. They want to pay them a little something and make them sign off on anything in the future.

Beercan

I'm guessing you have progressive! It's there M O

If they can say it was in some way partially your fault you will get stuck paying in the least more a month. Go talk to a lawyer ASAP and don't answer anymore questions for your insurance company. They can find you at fault all on there own, no court needed in there eye's

Kurt

I'd change insurance companys. I basically hate insurance anyway, they take and take from you then try to screw you when there is an incident. This all sounds pretty weird.
The last thing I got in was when I had State Farm in Texas. I was waiting to make a left turn and a lady plowed into me from behind, never even hit her brakes. She honestly just didn't see my red F150 with the blinker on. She was found at fault. He elderly mother was pretty banged up and I think eventually died. A year or so later I got a lawyer letter from a person with the same last name, not sure of the relationship but they were suing me for possibly executing a dangerous left turn. I took the letter to my State Farm agent and he said he'd take care of it. I never heard another word about it. That was a case of the insurance company stepping up to bat and settling a frivolous lawsuit. What a good company/agent should do for you.
I'm not sure who you have as a carrier but this sounds typical of cut rate on-line car insurance. I prefer to pay a little more and get it from an agent who is also a neighbor.

Yep....if they can get them to settle on something..

they will have them sign documents that will prevent them from any further suits down the road.....really sad that the insurance company is pursuing them though......most wouldn't do anything until somebody made a claim....honestly I'm not sure why you called them to give them a heads up [S seems you opened pandora's box so to speak....frankly, if you were not at fault and you didn't file a claim with the insurance company, I can't see increased rates on a maybe thing....but since my wife is an insurance agent, some of the stuff she see's on a daily basis blows my mind....she underwrites for 12 different insurance company's.....Auto Owners seems to have the best company...at least they have been great to deal with for us.....JMHO

I hate auto owners with a passion. They are the ones who claimed called it a act of god when a lady crossed center and hit me and denied my claim.

Sorry that happened......

I hate auto owners with a passion. They are the ones who claimed called it a act of god when a lady crossed center and hit me and denied my claim.

Never heard of any traffic accident being considered an "Act of God"....I'm going to run that past my wife and see what she thinks.....Act of God is high winds, hail, lightening and crap like that.....but an auto accident?? Unless a tornado picked up the car and threw it at you.....I would guess God had nothing to do with it.....anyway, I'll let you know what she says about that one.....

David, here is what I think is going on. The insurance company feels it is cheaper to pay a small amount of money to the injured kid's family and get it in writing that they are settling in full. It is cheaper for them than paying an Attorney to defend them if the family sues. They are cutting their losses.

And yes, your rates will go up. My Son was sitting stopped at a toll booth, waiting to pay, and a guy who was looking down for change ran into the back of him and drove his car into the guy in front of my Son. My Son was no way in the wrong at all, yet for 3 years his rates went up and he lost his safe driving rating.

Florida is the worst of all for this kind of crap. :mad:

Don

Was it considered an act of God???? lol

David, here is what I think is going on. The insurance company feels it is cheaper to pay a small amount of money to the injured kid's family and get it in writing that they are settling in full. It is cheaper for them than paying an Attorney to defend them if the family sues. They are cutting their losses.

And yes, your rates will go up. My Son was sitting stopped at a toll booth, waiting to pay, and a guy who was looking down for change ran into the back of him and drove his car into the guy in front of my Son. My Son was no way in the wrong at all, yet for 3 years his rates went up and he lost his safe driving rating.

Florida is the worst of all for this kind of crap. :mad:

Don

Or was it simply DWHUA??? Driving with head up A$$!! LOL...

AKA... tunnel vision.

0363.jpg

Latest posts

Back