JDM Mailorder Turbo Motor

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA41

I ordered a JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) Nissan turbocharged inline 6 cylinder off the N-er-net Friday. My boy does tuner/bagger stuff, and has been talking this thing for years and I am looking for something we can kinda share interest on a little.

I have Yota 5ME I-6 twin OHC that I've been wanting to do a Offy/Miller looking clone wannabe, but it's NA and my sons dreaming about turbos, and does a Nissan 240SX hotrod thing lately. I decided to go with the RB25DET Nissan to try to get him involved a little. I'll see if I can blend a Modern High Tech powertrain in an antique sorta looking package.. The RB Nissan engine series is a Twin OHC inline 6 ranging from 2 to 3 liters with turbo models making 250-300 hp in factory trim, and able to do appx 400 HP with a little upgrading.

I've been pretty leery about JDM stuff--buying a junk yard import without running it seems risky, but apparently they have been pretty successful doing it, and the prices are getting better, so I thought I'd risk it. I got the 40,00 mile, 2.5 liter, 250 HP, I-6 complete with auto tranny and computer/wireing delivered for $1300. The plan is to fab up some round top cam covers and rework the intake/exhaust. Lay them on the side to uncover the cam towers, and maybe a sheetmetal front cover and loose the plastic fan. I think I've seen something similar done with a 4 cylinder somewhere. Anyone seen that--can't find the pic I saved??

Heres a few pics of what I've got coming, and a RB long block and an Offy/miller I'm taking some cues from. The twin cam towers are the key. Suppozed to be delivered late next week. We'll see..

I might try it in a Vintage racer clone similar to BIs and Flippers projects if I can get it running.

PA41

Attachments

• RB25LB1.jpg
    RB25LB1.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 50
  • miller_91_engine_front_web.jpg
    miller_91_engine_front_web.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 39
  • miller_122_engine_web.jpg
    miller_122_engine_web.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 42
  • !B6LJoS!BWk~$(KGrHqZ,!h!Eyrou10y,BMwedLv--Q~~_12.jpg
    !B6LJoS!BWk~$(KGrHqZ,!h!Eyrou10y,BMwedLv--Q~~_12.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
nice buy on the motor. where did you order it from? is it a red or black top? just be carefull they love to over heat so give it a good size radiator. and make sure you use a good intercooler. we put them in 240sx all the time. the rb25det is one bad a$$ motor when tuned properly. just be sure to get it tuned before running it on the street. the Sr20det is a cheap upgrade as well. put a bigger turbo on the sr20 with full arp studs throughout motor and fresshen up rongs. ordered shiped with tranny and the new turbo on pump gas get 350 horse. your
rb25det is out of a skyline and has a bullit proof bottomm end. stock internals can hold up to 500 horse and can get there very cheaply. in stock form in a 1994 240sx it will break the tires on a 30mph roll.
and your toyota motor you have what year supra did it come out of? because these motors can achieve a way higher horsepower on stock internals with just some cam work and change of turbo.:D

Thats a nice looking motor. I think you can make it look old with a bit of work like you are talking about.

I originally wanted to do that with a 240 zx motor and put it in my speedster, but cheapness got the better of me. $300 Ford 6 & spd won the day.

Ahh, maybe next time.

Last edited:
nice buy on the motor. where did you order it from? is it a red or black top? just be carefull they love to over heat so give it a good size radiator. toyota motor you have what year supra did it come out of? because these motors can achieve a way higher horsepower on stock internals with just some cam work and change of turbo.:D

Thanks for the input RF--The engine came in Wensday--got it from an importer in Richardson Texas-it's a black top 25det--- So far it looks pretty good, but the MAF sensor wasn't included so I ordered one from a Nissan Maxima off eBay, its all there otherwise.. I Got a CD owners manual on it and am trying to splice the wires back together to the ECU .

I can see where under sizing the cooling would be an issue--I was tempted to just consider the engine size rather than the performance. The more HP the more heat produced.

The motor is longer than I expected 32" with the fan, but not tall -about 20". I guess designed for the long low Skyline hood.. Kinda heavy too--600lbs shipping cost, with auto tranny and AC compressor and all the accs. The motor is slanted over appx 10 degrees and The spark plugs are down in the center of the cam towers with little coils mounted on top of each plug. It might be difficult to get the look I want, and I might just get it started and running and give it to my son for his 240sx & maybe get him to help me with the Toyota motor in my old looking idea.- . I can see it would be great fun in a 2600 pound car, and The Toyota 5ME (from a Cressida I have) might be more suited to the 'antiqueing' .. It has a distributer with plug wires in the centerhead and is straight up n Down, and I have a Megasquirt that'd run it, and I have a few turbos laying around from my twin turbo 5.0 Ford motor I did a while back...

No one around here has even seen the Rb style 6--I've had lots of visitors at work--just to come look at it:). I had 5 visitors and my crew circling the pallet this morning drinking coffee and scratchng there heads over it and IDing various pieces--BOV etc.... It's fun-kind of a mythical motor--everyone has wild notions about it from the movies . I don't know enough to lie about it yet :p But I was tempted anyway. I bet it'd be a hoot at a carshow mounted in a primitive-skinny tired speedster. A guy could really lay on some bull about it!. I do believe it has big potential, and even the pretty conservative stock setup would do alot in place of the tired 150 hp banger the boy runs in his 240...

I'll just try and get it to fire and see from there--Thanks for the interest --I'll keep the info posted on the progress.

Something a little different.

PA41

This motor is a 'movie star', it may be a legend eventually. It pushes peoples buttons--stirs up things. The movie thing has made it a well known giant killer--or giant itself. Thats a big reason I wanted to mess with it. I'd like to see what the fuss is about. See if its real or just movie hype.

One thing that's suprizing me is it might be 'cheep N easy'. That right there's rat rod stuff!! If you can get a $1300 low mile JY engine and bolt on another $1000 worth of parts and get 4-500 streetable HP in a reliable driver -- ya might be on to something that will talked about for years. Function creates the legend.

I might need to take it for what it is instead of trying to force it into an application that might not suit it.

I have a tendency to do inappropiate things--fart in church - laugh at funerals--that kind of thing. Maybe putting this in a primitive car would be a mistake.

What applications do you think would be better suited for this setup but still in a 'ratty' way?

PA41

Last edited:
I saw a fiberglass '34 Ford roadster at a local show a few years back...Built to look "antiquey" looked sort of ratty before I ever heard the "Rat Rod" term used. Was fenderless with some sort of older, carbureted Toyota DOHC 4-banger in it...dual side-draft carbs with those old, teardrop shaped air filters on 'em. The car had felt-tip marker autographs and graffiti all over the white gel-coat and looked cool as anything overall.:cool: As usual, I think you're "on to something," PA.

On a side note, make sure that young fella of yours watches how he drives his 240. My apprentice at work had one his Dad bought for him, turbo'd JDM 2.0 DOHC of some sort, lowered, big wheels, body kit, yada-yada-yada... I say "HAD" because he wrapped the damn thing around a large oak tree this week and totalled it. Hit so hard on the driver's side, they had to cut the roof off to get him out. He claimed black ice, but I know damn well he was driving too fast, already had to go to court for street racing once. I don't know how the kid walked away from the car. His Dad's already planning to find him another car to swap the stuff onto and start over.... Like putting an Uzi in the hands of a five-year-old, IMHO.[S Not all kids are incautious, but those that are make things bad for ALL who are interested in modded cars.

Regards,
Shea:)

Good points Shea.. Cupcake would be upset if I killed one of the boys--- When they were kids I didn't buy 4 wheelers, but I got a little 50cc dirt bike for everyone to keep the griping down. Naturally the youngest (now 30) got tired of that and got his first street bike--a 636 Ninja--a 160 mph kid killer..

He was playing vidio games where after a crash he'd just 'get another life'.. It wasn't looking good--one morning comming home from work he passed me doing well over 100mph on a flat stretch of new pavement-- so fast his wake shook my truck as he went by!! I caught up with him a few days later for a talk, and he started the discussion of with "I sold it" He'd gotten in a 140 MPH uncontrollable weave/wobble thing after bottoming out the suspension in a slight depression--he coasted home and never rode it again...

He's pretty mature, but I ain't gonna make him a killer car to play with. Now for ME---Maybe[dr I've seen a JY JDM deal where you can get an all wheel drive RB26deTT front clip with the rear end for about $5K-- I can see that in an IMCA style tube frame and have a po boy super car!! I need THAT!!! Go SOLO racin er sumthin??

Need that BAD..:p

I'm thinking I'll put the RB25DET in the 33 Dodge PU project I have--it's got a stock $100 5.0 Ford in it now--the Skyline motor would give it some talking points, and reveive my interest in the project.. Value added!!

Still just researching it and thinking.

Thanks for the input..Its all fun..

PA41

Latest posts

Back